Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another "old PC" thread, but this one is for a 4 year old!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Another "old PC" thread, but this one is for a 4 year old!

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    How do I know I have the "intel" driver as an option? I know if it's not there, I will need to restore a backup of xorg.conf from the command line. I can do it, but it's uncomfortable territory for me.

I installed Etch from a brand new download of the .iso a couple of days ago. Not etchnhalf, just etch. Synaptic has not told me there are any available upgrades, so I must have downloaded the latest version.

Thanks.
    It is good that you have installed Synaptic. Let us find out whether you have intel driver using it. Start Synaptic and click on Search button and enter the following in the box:
    xserver-xorg-video-intel
    Select and install the driver if not already installed. Now you should be more comfortable backing up the xorg.conf file changing the driver from "i810" to "intel".

If you don't find the driver try apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and see whether the file "xserver-xorg-video-intel" is shown anywhere.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by timzak View Post
    Another question on this same install: When I hit the Quit button to shut down the system, Shutdown and Restart are greyed out--my only option is to log out. I must then shutdown from within gdm.

I know Xubuntu allows a full shutdown from the desktop, so how can I accomplish this?

Thank you.
    I am sorry I don't use xfce on Debian. You can try searching Debian Forum or asking there. You may also ask on Debian folder in Other OS Talk on this forum.

kagashe
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-21 with pre-installed Endless OS & Ubuntu 22.04 in dual boot
    Linux Registered User #395189
    Ubuntu user number # 345

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kagashe View Post
    It is good that you have installed Synaptic. Let us find out whether you have intel driver using it. Start Synaptic and click on Search button and enter the following in the box:
    Select and install the driver if not already installed. Now you should be more comfortable backing up the xorg.conf file changing the driver from "i810" to "intel".

If you don't find the driver try apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and see whether the file "xserver-xorg-video-intel" is shown anywhere.

kagashe
    Thanks, all worked as you explained. I appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In case anyone else needs this, I've found a solution to allowing restarts and shutdowns from the desktop.

Edit the following file as root (I'm using mousepad, you use your favorite):

Code:
    mousepad /etc/sudoers
    And insert the following lines:

Code:
    Defaults	!lecture,tty_tickets,!fqdn
    (comment out any other Defaults line)

Code:
    # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
    %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
    and
    Code:
    YOUR_USER_NAME ALL= NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/xfsm-shutdown-helper
    (replace YOUR_USER_NAME with your actual username)

That fixed it for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123