Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ath9k

Quote Originally Posted by kevmitch View Post
    BTW: I don't understand why the PPA is for mac users only.
    The mactel-support PPA sometimes has "replacement" packages for those in the normal Ubuntu repos. If you add it to your sources, you might update something you don't want to update. You are welocome to use it to download this package, I just wouldn't keep it in your sources.list

i.e. The note is there for those that might not know any better...

Beans

Cool Re: ath9k

Ok guys, I'm relatively new to linux, and Ubuntu. I managed to get the ath9k drivers installed for my D-link DWA-552 card. Installed no problems. The computer boots, with no problem after, everything seems to run fine, UNTIL, i go and try to access the network. I click on my network, enter the passphrase, and FREEZE! I thought it could have been a freak occurance, well it doesn't seem to be. Can someone please help me with this problem.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by khaoslove View Post
    Ok guys, I'm relatively new to linux, and Ubuntu. I managed to get the ath9k drivers installed for my D-link DWA-552 card. Installed no problems. The computer boots, with no problem after, everything seems to run fine, UNTIL, i go and try to access the network. I click on my network, enter the passphrase, and FREEZE! I thought it could have been a freak occurance, well it doesn't seem to be. Can someone please help me with this problem.
    Since this driver is still just a developmental version, it likely will have issues. You can try to contact the devs about it:
    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    i.e. The note is there for those that might not know any better...
    Ah, I figured it was something like that. I was not terribly familiar the PPA system prior to seeing it mentioned here. I must say its a pretty slick idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It also looks like there are a couple potential bug reports cropping up here. This is in principle, a good thing for an experimental driver, however it might be worth while to have some sort of staging area to triage bugs so that we might compile concise and specific descriptions before we submit them to the devs list. This will help the devs figure out what's wrong and make the bugs more likely to get fixed. Does launchpad have any facility to do this with PPAs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Development of madwifi was dropped to work on a set of fully open source drivers for atheros wifi cards (madwifi uses a closed-source hal layer to access the hardware). In fact, the last 'stable' release of madwifi does not support your atheros card, you have to get a development snapshot. ath5k was the first release of the open drivers, but it did not support the newer cards. ath9k was recently announced and I think it should support any of the MacBook / MacBook Pro models that have an atheros wifi card.

If you wireless works just fine, I wouldn't worry about changing drivers as this is still a relatively earlier set of code. If you would like to test it out, or if you want to try to get 802.11n speed working, or if you just want to get that closed hal layer off your system, then you can use this.

PS you have a 3rd generation MacBook Pro (MacBookPro3,1)
    ath9k is a part of the current madwifi package, but can only impliment a/b/g.
    Last edited by TDragon; August 12th, 2008 at 03:57 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mabovo View Post
    Nice, worked like a charm in kernel 2.6.24-19.

Caveat A - It doesn't work in 2.6.24-20. Why not ?

Caveat B - Signal strenght is very good, better than late madwifi. I didn't use Ndiswrapper.

ath9k is ok with wicd. Now is time to network manager get ready.
    mabovo, I've been stuck with madwifi for my N card. Given that both drivers now have the ath9k support, would you say that this driver is overall better? Also, do you actually have N support, or does it go down to G like madwifi?

cyberdork33, with that being said, how can one go about rebuilding it to be used on other computers other than a mac, or will it (compat-wireless-ath9k-2.6.24-20-generic_20080806-mactel1_i386.deb) work on any ubuntu platform w/ the 2.6.24-20 kernel (PC, Mac, etc)?
    Last edited by TDragon; August 12th, 2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: 2nd question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TDragon View Post
    ath9k is a part of the current madwifi package, but can only impliment a/b/g.
    The current madwifi doesn't support many of these cards. At least those that try it here get nothing (and have to use code from svn instead).

Quote Originally Posted by TDragon View Post
    cyberdork33, with that being said, how can one go about rebuilding it to be used on other computers other than a mac, or will it (compat-wireless-ath9k-2.6.24-20-generic_20080806-mactel1_i386.deb) work on any ubuntu platform w/ the 2.6.24-20 kernel (PC, Mac, etc)?
    The deb is not mac specific (it is just that these atheros cards are what most of the Macs use). The PPA is for Intel Mac users, the the deb is just the generic ath9k driver package as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro

The current madwifi doesn't support many of these cards. At least those that try it here get nothing (and have to use code from svn instead).

The deb is not mac specific (it is just that these atheros cards are what most of the Macs use). The PPA is for Intel Mac users, the the deb is just the generic ath9k driver package as far as I know.

I'll try installing the deb when I get back home and will let you know how it performs.
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Beans

Will the package that the volanin compiled work with kernel version 2.6.17? I assume it won't, but could somebody help me? All I need to do is install the card and the driver on my wifes computer with Edgy Eft installed (I don't need N functionality, I only have a G router ATM). One additional obstacle is the fact that my wife's computer is too far from my router for ethernet cables to reach, so whatever I'll do I'll have to do from a burnt CD/pen drive.
    I appreciate anyone's advice on how to proceed. (I'd prefer not to have to do an upgrade on her computer.)
    Last edited by teddmeister2; August 12th, 2008 at 10:24 PM.
    "Anyone who denies the law of non-contradiction should be beaten and burned until he admits that to be beaten is not the same as not to be beaten, and to be burned is not the same as not to be burned."--Avicenna

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast