Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: ath9k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ath9k

This seems to be an issue right now. there are some bug reports in launchpad that encyption + DHCP does not work

EDIT: I ran across this. Might be helpful.
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11394
    Last edited by cyberdork33; October 23rd, 2008 at 12:35 AM.

Beans

Question Re: ath9k

Hi Guys,

I've managed to compile and install the compat-wireless driver from source in 8.10, but it only works if I run sudo make load every time I restart the PC. I changed form madwifi drivers because they didn't resume from suspend properly. It now does that perfectly but I have to start them by hand after a reboot.

Can I get these to run on startup?

Thanks

Bj

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by BjBlaster View Post
    I've managed to compile and install the compat-wireless driver from source in 8.10, but it only works if I run sudo make load every time I restart the PC. I changed form madwifi drivers because they didn't resume from suspend properly. It now does that perfectly but I have to start them by hand after a reboot.

Can I get these to run on startup?
    You can use an init.d script to do that on bootup: refer to Adding a Startup Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Comment deleted. I found my own way forward.
    Thanks for your work.
    Last edited by mngsailing; November 28th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Anybody using ath9k for wifi should take a look to this post and the links inside: here

With these links and steps I was able to use the wifi on that laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I was Ok with ath9k.
    Then I reinstalled 8.04 in order to repartition. So I lost it.

How do I find and then
    extract the script from the tar.gz that I got from rapidshare?.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mngsailing View Post
    I was Ok with ath9k.
    Then I reinstalled 8.04 in order to repartition. So I lost it.

How do I find and then
    extract the script from the tar.gz that I got from rapidshare?.
    Ok Done that.

Still have network unclaimed. Is there a diagram anywhere of how this Stuff fits together?

Beans

I'm not positive on that answer - I used ath9k, but not via the script/package you mention. Does it build a module or something else? If a module, you should be able to do:
    Code:
    modprobe ath9k
    If you are comfortable, you can recompile your kernel with support for ath9k. That's what I did and it worked perfectly.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for... I can't answer exactly since I didnt use your method - just sharing what worked for me. Any kernel > 2.6.27.4 has ath9k support built in.

-John

Beans

Hi Volanin,
    I've got a HP laptop with an Atheros AR928X card. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10. The computer is dropping the WEP dynamic wireless connection every 5 minutes at work and the signal is bad. The guy just beside me at work has got Ubuntu 8.10 running on a PC also but gets 100% signal for the same connection. Are the packages proposed here only working with Macs?
    Thanks a lot!

Beans

Hi guayca,

The ath9k driver is a driver for Atheros based chipsets, not just those in Macbooks. I'd take a look at this PAGE. It contains info on the ath9k driver and listed cards/computer that are known to have [what I assume to be working] chipsets.
    Listed under the HP (AR9280/HB92, 2x2 DB) section:

- HP Pavilion dv5
    - Compaq Presario CQ50
    - HP G50
    - Compaq Presario CQ70
    - HP G70
    - HP Pavilion dv7

One thing that's helped me isolate the problem in the past is to connect to a non-secure network first, just to test things out. When I first compiled in ath9k support to my kernel, I simply turned off all security via my router config page, then used wicd (I use(d) Zenwalk Linux) to try to connect and iron out any issues on the purely hardware/configuration side. Only then did I turn security (e.g. WEP or WPA) back on and try to connect.

If you can't turn security off on your work router, try it from home or a friend's house. Turn security off. Can you connect to the internet? Can you open a terminal window and do 'ping www.google.com' successfully? Do you have a good signal? If you go to another friend's house, can you duplicate the same results?

These types of questions and experiments start narrowing down the true problem.

Hope that helped!
    John

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast