Thread: Challenging A Post

Beans

Challenging A Post

Hi!

I'm glad that I've never been compelled to use the Resolution Center before but for once I disagree with the lack of action taken with regard to a post.

The post in question is this one:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=298

It is in the last part of the last paragraph that I think breaks the UbuntuForums CoC; I quote:

Quote Originally Posted by CptPicard
    because we're supposed to do it all in math using pencil and paper just comes from trolls who like to pretend superiority and goad endless explanations from other people
    This was a quite direct reference to earlier posts by me in which I probably advocated a mathematical approach and then, more recently, this post:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=288

His post in this context is obviously aimed at me and breaks the CoC. For one, he is implying I have different opinions to those that I expressed earlier - I don't agree with doing "it all in math using pencil and paper" as is apparent from reading earlier posts. And secondly, and far more importantly, he implies I am a troll (which obviously carries derogatory connotations). The whole sentence is a slur on my character in general.

I have already reported the post above, but nothing was done, so I assume it is viewed as acceptable. Given the meaning and insults shown above, I cannot see how it is justifiably not in violation of the CoC:

Quote Originally Posted by CoC
    Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness.
    So, obviously, could an administrator look into this?

Thanks,
    Lster

Beans

Re: Challenging A Post

Is this matter being taken up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've looked at it a little bit, and I'm at a loss as to what to do.

On one hand, it does seem like what was said could have been communicated in a much kinder and gentler way.

Still, there is something to be said for trying not to over moderate. Really, the comment wasn't that big of a deal, at least in my opinion, and you could choose to be less sensitive about the minor detail and consider what is really being communicated.

It's a borderline case, and I don't feel like any particular intervention is needed. I want to encourage and foster a polite environment, but I don't want to become a nanny in the process.

Is this the only time this has occurred with this member, a one-time incident, or is this an example of a trend in communications between you and him? That would make a big difference.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

I know exactly what you mean.

I think the issue was his tone throughout the thread seemed a little demeaning and patronizing. There is nothing I could really put my finger on throughout all. And that last comment just seems like a bit of a low blow.

In a discussion like the one there, I think it's important for one to express their opinions and facts without making personal assessments. These threads obviously seem to carry a lot of heat and become unprofessional quickly when a derogatory remark is made... Hence the reason for, perhaps, my premature complaint.

As for it being borderline: it clearly isn't. Any thorough interpretation of the CoC would agree. I think its trivialness is what is questionable.

Thanks for your time,
    Lster

Beans
    Distro

I guess what I meant by "borderline" was not so much whether the comment was in violation, but whether it was worth doing something about. Here's where I'm coming from at the moment. Sometimes we have bad days and off moments, all of us, including me. When someone shows me grace in those moments, especially when I know I don't deserve it, I find myself trying to live better out of appreciation.

Now, in especially egregious cases, or cases of obvious malicious intent or defiance, that isn't always possible. In cases where the action occurs more than just once, but is repeated or becomes common, then something absolutely must be done.

I'm not saying something bad didn't happen. It did. If you truly feel the need for us to do something, we will contact the other member and discuss the issue with him. Perhaps he is already reading this conversation and considering it anyway. If you think we can let it go this time, I would like to, but please, if there is any further occurrence, let us know, either in this thread or by reporting the post.

Beans

So... If I was to "have a bad day", I would be let off the hook? I'm sure in many cases I do have opinions of people that if I expressed would be quite offensive. What's to stop my response from worsening the situation?

In my opinion it quite warrants a warning and the deletion of the post. However, I doubt anything of the kind will happen.

And as for the question of being overly-sensitive, I disagree. Although it isn't really fair to accuse a member of something without specific evidence, I will venture as far as saying I have seen the same derogatory responses by CptPicard in reply to others' posts. In fact, I feel some members have an almost tribalistic attitude which hasn't gone unnoticed by everyone (I remember a few posts that mentioned it but were laughed down):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...0&postcount=26

To be honest, yes the post is quite minor, but things in Programming Talk are not as healthy as when I first joined and this is an exhibit of common behavior.

I don't want it to sound like a threat, but I would consider leaving the forum if things remain as they are.

Beans
    Distro

Sigh. I issued an infraction warning and have edited the post.

Beans

Thank you. I'm sorry to seem so petty but I feel strongly about the whole situation especially as UbuntuForums is my favorite forum.