Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: [SOLVED] Atheros Wireless Woes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Atheros Wireless Woes

I'm conducting an experiment...will I be able to get on the wireless if I leave the hardware switch on and tell it to reboot? That and the extra module of ndis wrapper seems to be the issue...

and the verdict: no, the switch must be off and then only be turned on after ubuntu has loaded and the user has logged in.

Now everything works!!

Thanks, I really appreciated how you both stuck with me through all of this. I guess perseverance pays off in the end.
    -------------------------------------------
    Laptop: Lenovo R61e 1.5GBRAM, WD 80GB HDD, Intel Celeron 1.86GHz Processor.
    Desktop: Epox 9NPA+SLI, AMD Athlon64, XFX Nvidia 8600GT, WD 80GB and 160GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Atheros Wireless Woes

Ok so here is my comprehensive guide to getting wireless to work on an R61e Thinkpad. Firstly, I would like to thank my mentors dmizer and pytheas22 otherwise this guide would not have been written. This is a first draft so if there are any large errors please feel free to message me so that I can fix them.

Open the attachment using either open office writer or msword (the file was too large to upload as an open office writer file so I, sadly, had to go to word. All the same I hope that this solves some problems
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by epiphonygirl; August 19th, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    Laptop: Lenovo R61e 1.5GBRAM, WD 80GB HDD, Intel Celeron 1.86GHz Processor.
    Desktop: Epox 9NPA+SLI, AMD Athlon64, XFX Nvidia 8600GT, WD 80GB and 160GB HDD

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Atheros Wireless Woes

Hmm, I use Mepis, another debian based distro, and a lappy with the evil 242x (ar5007eg) chipset. I have got a native madwifi module built rather easily--even a sharable .deb! This should also work in Ubuntu.

Install your kernel headers and build-essentials, also module-assistant.

Go to packages.debian.org and grab the .deb from unstable (sid) of the madwifi-source package. This will only install a source package in /usr/src, so you can use it in both 32 and 64 bit. Install it. Uninstall ndiswrapper.

open a terminal

sudo m-a prepare (checks to see if everything's set up OK)
    sudo m-a update
    sudo m-a a-i madwifi-source

The last command will build and install the madwifi-modules.

As a bonus, you will have some debs in the /usr/source folder that you can share with people using the same kernel. You'll get some kudos! I get a ghost wifi0 interface and a real ath0 using this driver, this is normal--but I have to tell my network monitoring applets to use the wifi0, otherwise ath0 reports twice the real speed!

Beans

Smile Re: [SOLVED] Atheros Wireless Woes

Well done epiphonygirl.
    Worked for my Fujitsu Siemens ESPRIMO Mobile V5535 too.
    I used a different source to get the driver: http://support.fujitsu-siemens.de/de...downloads.html
    but it turned out to be the same *.inf file in the end.
    Thanks very much!
    Mäx
    Last edited by Mäx; August 19th, 2008 at 02:53 AM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678