Thread: Question about automatic updates in firefox and thunderbird

Beans

Question about automatic updates in firefox and thunderbird

Hi,

I installed ubuntu 8.04.1 on a pc that I want to be as simple as possible to use. (It is used by someone not familiar at all with computers). For this reason, the automatic updates are disabled (I'll do them from time to time)

In firefox and thunderbird, they are automatic updates which are selected:

- installed add ons and search engines in firefox
    - installed add ons in thunderbird

I'd like to disable these automatic upgrades to avoid these softwares ask: new add-on is ready to be installed .... which can be confusing for the user of this computer...

The question is, if I do that, will these addons and search engine be updated when I'll do an update (in the ubuntu update tool) ?

Thanks for any information
    Last edited by mod-jkl; July 29th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Question about automatic updates in firefox and thunderbird

If you have no add-ons for firefox/thunderbird, the apps will not ask to update them on each startup.

It the core code of firefox/thunderbird is updated in the ubuntu packages this will appear in the notification area with all other other source updates.

Some firefox/thunderbird addons are actually provided through ubuntu. These addons will come through the notification area also.

Good luck!

Beans

Re: Question about automatic updates in firefox and thunderbird

Sorry for the delay to respond, was out a few days ..

The add-ons I saw in firefox were installed by ubuntu (they are some catalogue, extensions, themes, langues and plugins). In fact, I'm wondering if all these add-ons will be updates by the ubuntu updates or if firefox will ask, by itself, if the user want to updates some of these modules .. (when new versions are available)

It is the same question for thunderbird, but there is less add-ons already installed there (one theme and 2 languages)..
    Last edited by mod-jkl; August 3rd, 2008 at 03:13 PM.