Thread: The real reason for less complaints in OMGPP

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The real reason for less complaints in OMGPP

I understand that the reason given for keeping colored text in OMG orange ponies is that it somehow makes people's attitudes more playful resulting in less complaints. I want to state that while I feel that the text color is kind of ridiculous, it doesn't really bother me. But I disagree that the text color is the reason for fewer complaints.

I think the real reason for fewer complaints is that around the same time the color changed, we had at least one moderator (LaRoza) that began to heavily frequent that subforum. So now we have a staff member that very actively moderates that subforum and keeps everyone somewhat in line. There are still a lot of controversial discussions and times where the atmosphere seems far from playful. But LaRoza and others are doing an excellent job at moderating that subforum, whereas before, no one was really watching it closely.

I suggest that the fewer complaints have absolutely nothing to do with the text color, but rather that the subforum is now being actively and excellently moderated. I truly believe that you could change the fonts back to black and the atmosphere wouldn't change for the worse. You wouldn't have to go back to calling it The Backyard.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: The real reason for less complaints in OMGPP

Does there have to be only one "real" reason?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

No, but if you take a step back and look at the whole picture, it's highly unlikely that the colored text is actually one of the "real reasons". Even if it was the real reason back then, right now you have a problem with a lot of disgruntled people. That doesn't make for a happy, playful atmosphere.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

there's no excuse for unreadablility, unless one doesn't want it read.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chucky chuckaluck View Post
    unless one doesn't want it read.
    If that was the case, it surely isn't working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The sensible side of my personality is of the opinion that consideration for others should be paramount.

However, another part of me thinks the forum should be renamed "The Blankyard" and the default text should be the same colour as the background, including the thread titles. That would at least be funny.