Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    13

    Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    I can't find a solution to this, other than installing a different OS, which would appear simpler than any of the following:

    * Building Subversion 1.5 from source. I attempted this. Incompatibilities with Apr and Apr-Utils required that they be compiled from source first. They in turn required a bunch of other stuff to be compiled from source. And so on. I gave up at that point.

    * Backporting the Intrepid packages. I got as far as running pbuilder on the intrepid .dsc (which performed tests for almost an hour), it was unclear whether this action had succeeded or failed, and the next steps in the Ubuntu Packaging Guide documentation drifted off into the realms of theory, speculation and fantasy at this point.

    * Downloading someone else's pre-built binaries. There's a few folks out there who have performed whatever dark ritual is required to produce working .debs, but apparently only for i386. I'm on amd64.

    * Following half-suggestions from confusing posts to mailing lists and vague hand-waving on forums in response to the problem.

    Am I being unreasonable to assume that a significant upgrade to an industry standard piece of software should integrate trivially with the leading Linux distro? If anyone can suggest something I've missed which offers a solution to this I'm all ears.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    2

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    I also eagerly await a constructive reply to this question!

    "apt-get install subversion" would be nice, but any sort of compilable source or installable package would be awesome too...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    13

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    I found someone else who had backported the Intrepid package on his own repository here:

    https://launchpad.net/~clazzes.org/+archive

    Add that repo to your /etc/apt/sources.list then apt-get install subversion works

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    1,026
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Any reason why you are not happy with subversion 1.4? I think you would be more than happy with 1.4....

    Another option could be to download the subversion 1.5 rpm and use alien to convert it to a deb...

    Subversion 1.5 rpm
    http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/redhat.html

    Ubuntu Alien
    http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/...g-an-rpm-file/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Beans
    2

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinny View Post
    Any reason why you are not happy with subversion 1.4? I think you would be more than happy with 1.4....
    What? I don't see that as a valid answer to "how do I get 1.5 working?" The question wasn't "should I?", so we should assume the need was already determined.

    There are lots of reasons. Such as Merge Tracking, Sparse checkouts and all the other stuff at http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html testing, or maybe just plain old curiosity.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinny View Post
    Another option could be to download the subversion 1.5 rpm and use alien to convert it to a deb...
    Unfortunately it's just not that easy. And anyway, how is that easier than adding a repository and just using "apt-get install subversion"?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    1,026
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cylindric View Post
    What? I don't see that as a valid answer to "how do I get 1.5 working?" The question wasn't "should I?", so we should assume the need was already determined.

    There are lots of reasons. Such as Merge Tracking, Sparse checkouts and all the other stuff at http://subversion.tigris.org/svn_1.5_releasenotes.html testing, or maybe just plain old curiosity.

    Unfortunately it's just not that easy. And anyway, how is that easier than adding a repository and just using "apt-get install subversion"?
    Sorry for trying to help.... > exit

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    1,026
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    But before I do go heres the answer to your question.

    You need "Pinning":

    http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/mix...ositories.html

    Once you have the intrepid repository setup you will have access to the version 1.5 intrepid build of Subversion.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Beans
    26

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Quote Originally Posted by tinny View Post
    Sorry for trying to help.... > exit
    I hope you don't take this personal, but I have also ran into this kind of trouble previously on Ubuntu IRC, for instance, where people try to change my mind into using what Ubuntu offers right out of the box instead of a newer version I need.

    And it is sometimes ridiculous trying to explain. Or plain complex. And sometimes you have to trust people when they say they need something. Not all Ubuntu users are young kids coming from Windows.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    1

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dinamo View Post
    I hope you don't take this personal, but I have also ran into this kind of trouble previously on Ubuntu IRC, for instance, where people try to change my mind into using what Ubuntu offers right out of the box instead of a newer version I need.

    And it is sometimes ridiculous trying to explain. Or plain complex. And sometimes you have to trust people when they say they need something. Not all Ubuntu users are young kids coming from Windows.
    +1

    Why I must give reasons to use SVN 1.5? It is like explaining American Airlines why I want to buy the flying ticket and, after buying, I still need to configure my b*** to fit to the seat (maybe build the seat, too).

    I only want to download SVN 1.5 and use. I followed the instructions posted by tinny, but it didn't worked for subversion. I added the archive repository to services.list. After a lot of trial-and-error, I put intrepid with all packages (*) and priority 2000. But it didn't work. I've lost 2 hours to do I've done in 5 minutes on Windows.

    BTW, I use Linux since 1999 - a RedHat 5.3 downloaded with a 28800bps dial-up modem - I'm not a newbie, but I only want to fly - no explanations, no configurations, no compiling.
    Last edited by m4c0; August 6th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Beans
    1,026
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Subversion 1.5 into Ubuntu 8.04 Doesn't Go.

    Quote Originally Posted by m4c0 View Post
    +1

    Why I must give reasons to use SVN 1.5? It is like explaining American Airlines why I want to buy the flying ticket and, after buying, I still need to configure my b*** to fit to the seat (maybe build the seat, too).

    I only want to download SVN 1.5 and use. I followed the instructions posted by tinny, but it didn't worked for subversion. I added the archive repository to services.list. After a lot of trial-and-error, I put intrepid with all packages (*) and priority 2000. But it didn't work. I've lost 2 hours to do I've done in 5 minutes on Windows.

    BTW, I use Linux since 1999 - a RedHat 5.3 downloaded with a 28800bps dial-up modem - I'm not a newbie, but I only want to fly - no explanations, no configurations, no compiling.
    People are just trying to help around here, by donating their free time to answer threads. You would be surprised how many times you get a noob who just blindly wants the least version without actually knowing what is going on.

    Kicking people for trying to help is not the way things are done around here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •