Thread: Shutdown hangs up

Beans

Shutdown hangs up

Hello all,

i'm having this issue randomly but basically what happens is that sometimes when i shutdown my Acer laptop, the screen goes black (after usplash), but it fans don't stop and the "power on light" doesn't go off. Sometimes this can happen without shutting down, just leaving it there without moving the mouse. As i said before, this doesn't *always* happen, it's random.

Cheers.
    Reg: Mr. Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all - I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!
    Cardinal Ximinez: Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Shutdown hangs up

if you were to put acpi=force at the end of your menu.lst entry for whichever kernel you use it might make it not happen, but there might be some unwanted side effects.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans

Right... So this is unavoidable in Hardy, without having other side effects?

Thanks anyway
    Reg: Mr. Wentworth just told me to come in here and say that there was trouble at the mill, that's all - I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I dont know if anything will happen, it works fine for me. Well one of my computers (an older one) needed it, the other works fine. Post the output of
    Code:
    cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
    and I can try to help.

There is a reason they dont put acpi=force in by default, I just dont know what it is. It might be because there is no reason to, or it might be because it creates problems. But anyting it does can be fixed.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans

I can't post it now (it's on my mother's laptop, i use Gentoo in my box) but i'll check it out later. I think i understand the problem now that you mention it...

Thank you