Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copious amounts of storage

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Copious amounts of storage

I would definitely NOT recommend software RAID for this.

You need a RAID cabinet and a good hardware RAID card <flame suit ON>

If you are going to be selling services and using as you say (I love it) COPIOS amounts of storage, then you should be using a RAID cabinet that can hold 12 or 18 drives, and RAID 5 or 6. You will get MUCH better transfer speed that way.

My $.02

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

I agree with windependence if the original poster meant services as in selling services. I was thinking he meant home lan services... for instance, a samba service, a CUPS service, web-based torrent client, etc. For a home lan, a hardware raid seems a little over kill because the card may cost as much as the hardware (other than the HDD's) to run a good Ubuntu software raid. This is particular true if you're planning on always running the same OS on that box.

It is true a software raid is probably not the best solution for an ISP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You might be surprised. If you are talking SCSI RAID then yes I would agree it's expensive. As a reseller I am showing 58 cards under $100 for SATA RAID.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

You have 53 raid cards that have 8 or 12 sata connectors for under $100? That's amazing! Newegg shows one with 8 sata II connectors for under $100.

There are a bunch of 4 and 2 connector cards, but a lot of those are the silicon image cards that are actually software raid and unload all of the processing on the primary cpu. Those shouldn't have any performance advantage over mdadm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Above 4 gets more expensive, but is doable for RAID5. With the size of drives today, 4 would be usable, but of course more spindles = more speed.

In my case I have a 4U server case with just a PS in it and a whole bunch of removable SATA drive cages. It holds 1.5 terabytes of RAID5 space. That's a lot of space. You can of course buy something like IcyDock for a more independent solution.

As an alternative, I also run a 12 drive SCSI cabinet I bought used $50 with a Dell Perc3 card in the servers $60 each. Works great. eBay is your friend.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Beans

True 1.5 TB's is a lot, but it's just not enough for me. I needed no less than 2.5 TB's to hold my whole media library. Also with the introduction of mdadm you have all of the tools you need in a light weight package. Running a rack with separate units that only holds drives is more expandable and faster in most configurations, but then I would have had to buy a rack that is $500.

As is, I spent $310 building my system then bought 9, 500 GB sata II drives for $85 apiece. It made a 3.64 TB raid 5 cost less than $1100. It was hard for me to beat a little more than 3 GB/dollar for the whole system. And it is rackmountable for the future.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12