Thread: Trados translation software for linux, and others?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Question Trados translation software for linux, and others?

Hi all,

I've been an Ubuntu user for almost a year now and I'm quite happy with it. Now I'm trying to get my wife to make the switch also, but I'm running into a few unknown hurdles.

My wife is a professional translator and needs translation tools for her work. At the moment she is using Trados and would need a Linux clone for her work. Does that exist, and if so, where do I find it?

Also, she often translates 'tags' which is being done by a module that works with this Trados as well (don't ask me technical details, I never really had a good look at this software). So for this she would need a Linux substitute as well.

Anyway, I would really appreciate any info you guys can give me on professional translation software for Linux. It doesn't have to be commercial software, as long as it supports these Trados formats and tags, etc.

Who helps me to get my wife to switch to Ubuntu as well?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Kivech

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Trados translation software for linux, and others?

Shameless bump.

Don't tell me that there are no professional translators using Ubuntu.

Kivech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

I don't know of any Linux alternatives to the software you mention, but have you tried running it in Wine? It may be worth a go, or failing that a Virtual machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi,

There's always OmegaT. It's open source, and has come a long way since its early years. Many translators use it nowadays.
    See:
    http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Re: Trados translation software for linux, and others?

Did you try it out?
    Did it work?

I am very interested in this stuff, as it is the only thing that may keep forcing me to use Window$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Running Trados on WINE and linux is serious trouble, check these threads:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...=2189;mhl=6356
    http://www.proz.com/forum/linux_os_f....html?&print=1

OmegaT is very basic compared to Trados, but other CAT tools that run on Linux are Heartsome + soon Wordfast 6 (currently in beta).

Beans

Hi,
    If she uses tags I think probably OmegaT will be the best. Although for non-taged documents you also have Anaphraseus (similar to Wordfast).
    OmegaT and some useful information on it can be find here. Anaphraseus can be found at SourceForge but is still a beta. Currently it has some permission problems on Ubuntu 8.04 (I'm still trying to work them out). Another interesting tool is bitext2tmx, which can create a .tmx file out of two .txt files. It is useful if you have trouble reading .tmx in OmegaT (it can happen, since it reads .tmx but not all .tmx). From what I know the programe is only available in English, French, Catalan and Spanish and works for .txt in 21 different languages. Important: OmegaT doesn't read .doc but it reads .odt. I hope this helps you a bit. I'm currently also searching for translation software myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Question Re: Trados translation software for linux, and others?

What do you all think about the Google translators toolkit?
    The TMs are supposed to only go ENG>other, but I seem to be able to register to the TM even with the settings reversed.

Beans

you should check out the product alchemy catalyst. i worked for a translation company and that seemed to be the software that they all used. you can check it out at http://www.transperfect.com. hope that helped