Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Exclamation Re: [SOLVED] Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Hi,

Just thought I would let you all know that this problem is still around.

However, my problem occurred after going into Firefox safe mode and removing Torbutton 1.2.0 (which can only be uninstalled in Firefox safe mode). After rebooting and re-starting Firefox, I received the following error - NS COMPONET FALIURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE).

After googling the web, found this link. Noticed that Forecastfox was mentioned as possible issue. Uninstalled the Forecastfox extension, restarted Firefox, and the error vanished.

For those still seeing that annoying component failure code it may be worth a try removing Forecastfox extension (if you have it installed). If it clears up the error you can 1) either leave it removed, or 2) re-install it and reboot Firefox for it to take effect.

If you are seeing the above error, AND you do not have the Forecastfox extension installed, then try removing each Firefox extension, one at a time, until you find the offending extension. Remove the extension and restart Firefox. If you need (or wish to continue to use) the extension you just removed, then all you have to do is re-install it and restart Firefox once more for the extension to be activated.

p.s. - Still not sure why removing the Torbutton 1.2.0 extension would affect the Forecastfox extension, but it did. But that is something that the dev's and mozilla team should investigate.
    Last edited by azteech; December 5th, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth!
    ArizonaTeam Wiki | Arizona Launchpad | Membership
    Ubuntu Linux User #12622 | Linux user #400673

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

Add my voice to the choir of those thanking you for this solution!

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus11 View Post
    Hi all,

I encountered the above error this morning after booting up my PC but found my problem/resolution was different so I figured I'd share in case the above doesn't help resolve for some people.

I checked my ./mozilla directory and found that there were files in there with root:root permissions and that my username did not have permissions to read/write.

This may be overkill but I chown'd everything under ./mozilla and it resolved my problem.

Open a terminal window and run the following:

Code:
    cd ~/.mozilla
    chown -R username:username *
    where username is your login name.

The cd ~/.mozilla moves you to the .mozilla directory under your home directory.
    The chown command sets ownership of the files.
    The -R flag is recursive which means it will not only look at files/folders in the current directory but also go into subdirectories.
    The * (asterisk) means all files/folders.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Firefox - Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)

I have solved the problem doing the prior indicated:

cd ~/.mozilla

How did i have such a problem?
    I was doing the fool and i executed firefox from console: sudo firefox.

After that when i launched firefox the normal way, suddenly the "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ..." appeared

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have also solved the problem doing the prior indicated:

cd ~/.mozilla

Except I actually had to su as root in order to do this.

I was trying to think of how this happened. Then I realized that I attempted to unpackage and install a different version of firefox but realized it was not for 64 bit architecture. I did so as sudo as well.

So probably the combo of those two things messed it up. Why? I have no idea.

After that when I attempted to start up firefox I got the "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) ..." error.

Removing FoxCast that weather AddOn actually removed the error but did not fix the behavior of Firefox. I had no bookmarks, no forward or back browser buttons. It would not load into my Homepage and many pages it would never stop loading the page. All in all very possessed Firefox.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by genericcitizen View Post
    Hi,

Just for those who are still experiencing the error,

For me it seems it was related to the Forecastfox add-on, as I was still getting the error after a reinstall of FF and only removing Forecastfox fixed it.

For those still seeing that annoying component failure code worth a try.
    De-installation of ForecastFox did it for me as well, thanks for that hint.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123