Thread: Installing Flex 3 SDK?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Installing Flex 3 SDK?

I am trying to install Adobe Flex 3 SDK on Ubuntu, but it's pretty tricky how to install it (for me). The installation docs aren't very clear.

This is what it says:
    1. Download Flex SDK ZIP file from the Adobe website.

2. Create a directory to contain Flex SDK.

3. Extract the Flex SDK ZIP file to this directory. The Flex SDK contains the following directories:
    * /ant — Contains Flex Ant Tasks.
    * /asdoc — Contains helper files for the ASDoc tool that creates HTML documentation from your MXML and ActionScript source code.
    * /bin — Contains the mxmlc, compc, asdoc, and fdb utilities. The bin directory also contains the jvm.config file, which specifies Java settings that you can modify, if necessary.
    * /frameworks — Contains compiled framework classes, configuration files, and framework source code.
    * /lib — Contains JAR files used by the utilities.
    * /runtimes — Contains installers for the Adobe AIR runtime inside the air directory and installers for debug versions of Flash Player 9 inside the player directory.
    * /samples — Contains sample applications.
    * /templates — Contains HTML templates for Flash Player detection and browser integration and inside the air folder, a sample Adobe AIR application.xml file.

4. Ensure that the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is installed on the computer and that the java_home/bin directory is defined in the system path. JRE 1.4, 1.5, or 1.6 is required. For 1.4, JRE 1.4.2_06 or later is required.

5. Install the appropriate debug Flash Player from the install_root/runtimes/player/platform directory.

6. (Optional) When the Flash Player installation finishes, restart your computer to ensure that the updated Flash Player browser plug-in is enabled.

7. Continue by reviewing the explorer sample. To run the explorer sample, you must first compile it running the install_root/samples/explorer/build.bat (Windows) or install_root/samples/explorer/build.sh (UNIX and Mac OS X) files. For more information on the Flex compilers, see the "Using the Flex Compilers" chapter in the Building and Deploying Flex Applications manual.

I have everything correct for steps 1-4, but on step 5 I am confused. I go to ~/Flex/runtimes/player/lnx, and I only see two tar.gz files. One is named install_flash_player_9.tar.gz, and the other is flashplayer.tar.gz. I assume that I should install the first one, so I go to extract it.

All that is in this file is a file called flashplayer-installer and libflashplayer.so

Clicking both of them does nothing, what should I do? Or what program should I run them with?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Flex 3 SDK?

bump :\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hmm, this is not comforting: I also want to install the flex3 sdk, but had great difficulty getting flash to work.

Using the multimedia howto sticky thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3)specifically the torubleshooting section for adobe flash will hopefully work... I'm trying it out now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

curses! now I have messed up my working flash installation and I can't get the it working again... I'm off to post in that thread...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@ itsjareds: you should extract both files here. flashplayer-installer is a bash script; I don't know if it will work for you; for me it says 'unsupported achitecture /x86_64/'. If you want to try it simpy open a console at that location and run

sudo ./flashplayer_installer

this should then hopefully extract and install libflashplayer.so in all the right places. If it does not, your guess is as good as mine: head tot the comprehensive multimedia thread and see if those instructions help you at all.

The flashplayer.tar.gz. when extracted, creates a standalone flashplayer (just double click the extracted file). You can open .swf files and play them using this. It also has a menu item called debug, which will hopefully prove usefull.

Please report back on your success. My flash player is still not working at all