Thread: Astronomy

Beans

Astronomy

Any professional astronomers using Ubuntu?.

Beans

Re: Astronomy

The handful of ones that I know all seem to be Mac guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah im an phys with astro student about to start my 3rd year, most of the astronomers (astrophysicists) i know use macs. However some (In particular PHD students) do use linux, it is certainly preferred to windows.
    I got linux myself because its much better for handling the kind of things ill be doing next year. I already know its much better at coping with IRAF than windows (and possibly even better than mac). I am going to be working on astrophysical simulations next year so for the programming its also much better.
    To be honest im not a mac fan so if i ever make it as a pro ill post here in a few years with a real response as a pro who uses ubuntu lol

Another one here

I'm doing my Ph.D., and I'm in charge of the computer lab and network.

We use mostly IRAF plus our custom fortran code. Because of the software we've been always a unix place.

Lately Ubuntu has been the unix flavor of choice here, because of its easy of use (hey, we just want to work), and the free cds canonical sends.

I don't think we will migrate to macs, as they are expensive here in Mexico, compared to Dell or a local big builder we have in town.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yeah I dont think macs are good value for money really, they can charge what they like because no1 else sells them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Another grad student here. Everyone else in the lab uses red hat-the flavor supported by the university-but I'm a ubuntu man myself.

Why do you ask?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This may mean resucitating an otherwise dead thread, but I'm also a grad student in astronomy in Mexico. I've been using Ubuntu continously for ver four years now (since Feisty; though I tried Dapper before), and so far have managed to do my work well (though I've kept Lucid in my laptop & got Natty at the office).

I use or have used in the past (in various Ubuntu releases):
    IRAF + DS9
    Scilab & Octave
    MySQL & PostgreSQL
    Lots of fortran, C++ & perl/PDL programming
    A tiny bit of IDL/GDL & python

[By the way, R is awesome!]

I just hope Unity (which I hate) won't mess up too much with my work... or Gnome 3, for that matter (still using Gnome 2.X for now, even in Natty...)

Beans

hi guys
    i"m new to IRAF 2.16 and I am using iy for my Masters. Im experiencing copying coordinates of the stars from from a xgterm terminal to a text editor. Please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you for sharing.

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thanks.

Thread closed.