Thread: NDISWrapper and Ethernet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

NDISWrapper and Ethernet

I have been having many problems with my internet connection lately on an nVidia MCP51 ethernet controller, and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with using NDISWrapper to install drivers for ANY ethernet device. I'm running AMD64 version of 8.04, so I know that I probably need the 64-bit drivers, and I believe I may have found them, but I need some assistance in figuring out exactly what to do with NDISWrapper to get them installed. I realize that NDISWrapper's forum is probably a better place to go, but I've gotten little response on their forums and I was hoping the Ubuntu community might be more help. And please don't respond with "well, it works just fine out of the box on my computer," I'm getting really sick of hearing this from other people. It's not a problem with my hardware since the connection works fine on my Windows partition. Also, I have to connect through Static IP and then dial PPPoE, so there's all the relevant information I think anyone would need. If you need more info, just let me know.
    It's always a good idea to "man" a command before you run it. I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure my computer does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: NDISWrapper and Ethernet

bumperoo
    It's always a good idea to "man" a command before you run it. I may not know what I'm doing, but I'm pretty sure my computer does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

AFAIK, ndiswrapper is for wireless, not Ethernet, but you can give it a try...

The easy way to use ndiswrapper is to use the GUI interface, which you can install by typing "sudo apt-get install ndisgtk" in the terminal. If you have your Windows driver, it's just a matter of going to System->Windows Wireless Drivers, clicking "Install New Driver", and selecting the driver (the .inf file). Then restart networking by typing "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart" in the terminal. You should now be able to connect. If not, try rebooting your computer (or at least logging out and back in again).
    Last edited by mb_webguy; August 2nd, 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a try as soon as I'm back on Ubuntu.

Beans

How exactly does "lspci" list your ethernet card? It's just that I'm not familiar with your "nVidia MCP51" ethernet controller and I'm wondering if lspci refers to at something a little different.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

that's how it refers to it, I think rev a3 or something like that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That's the same card I have...it works fine under Hardy 32 bit (and it worked fine in 64 bit when I tried it). What problems are you having?