Thread: Trouble with effects and the graphics card

Beans

Unhappy Trouble with effects and the graphics card

HI there

I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop for the first time, and i love it! The only problem is that when i try and enable the visual effects, it says I cannot enable them. I tried the suggested "System-admin-hardware drivers" and see if its listed, but it is not.
    I have been poking around on the web and finding this is a somewhat common issue with the specific graphics card I have, which i believe is an ATI radeon mobility 9000. I ran the command"lspci -nn | grep VGA to check, and it says the following:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250
    Does anyone have any help or suggestions? I had bad luck trying to install the open source ati driver, but maybe i did something wrong??

Many thanks!

Elliott

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Trouble with effects and the graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by ElliottMB View Post
    HI there

I recently installed Ubuntu on my laptop for the first time, and i love it! The only problem is that when i try and enable the visual effects, it says I cannot enable them. I tried the suggested "System-admin-hardware drivers" and see if its listed, but it is not.
    I have been poking around on the web and finding this is a somewhat common issue with the specific graphics card I have, which i believe is an ATI radeon mobility 9000. I ran the command"lspci -nn | grep VGA to check, and it says the following:

Does anyone have any help or suggestions? I had bad luck trying to install the open source ati driver, but maybe i did something wrong??

Many thanks!

Elliott
    Hi and you may look here
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=764633

Beans

Re: Trouble with effects and the graphics card

Thank you so much! I really appreaciate it!

Elliott