Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: MagicJack in Linux

Beans

Re: MagicJack in Linux

I was able to setup and run magicjack in Ubuntu 10.10...

First i downloaded virtualbox 4.04 from the website instead of using the applications manager...

then I installed the extension packs for it...

installed win xp, enabling usb 2.0 support so the virtual OS would see USB devices on the host system...

once i started windows in vbox, it recognized the usb and magicjack did it's thing...

haven't tried any calls yet but i know if i call from my cell, the magicjack picks right up...

Beans

Yes, it could always be run via a VM. What we are talking about here is a native Linux set of drivers/apps to allow access without a VM. It's what MagicJack has promised but not delivered.

Beans

The new magicjack plus

you can use it without a computer

with an ethernet splitter I guess...

http://www.magicjack.com/plus-v05/

and you can keep your old phone number

Beans

But, you can NOT upgrade your original magicJack to a magicJack Plus. After a LONG text session with their "Live" customer support (computer generated help messages ???) I learned that the only thing you can do is order a magicJack Plus. Therefore you lose your existing magicJack number and all services you have prepaid.

Also, a4.8% “regulatory tax” applied to all orders, shipping and accessories.

Linus support: "We still do not have the exact time frame for it but it will help if you can check our website from time to time."

I like the telephone service provided bymagicJack, but their customer support is terrible !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Here's a chat I had with them/their computer...

Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Lira'
    Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5540142...X

Lira: Hello, how may I help you?
    Kgingeri: Hi Lira, I see that Magicjack can now be used without a computer. Can I use my existing magicjack devices that way?
    Lira: That is the magicJack plus device that does not need to plugged in to the computer.
    Kgingeri: OK, can I upgrade mine then but keep the same numbers etc?
    Lira: I'm glad that you're interested about our new product and I know how important it is to upgrade your current magicJack service to the new magicJack PLUS. I'm afraid to say this but magicJack cannot be upgraded to the new magicJack PLUS.
    Kgingeri: So what are my options then?
    Lira: Your option will be to purchase the magicjack plus device and that would cost you $69.95 with one year free service.
    Kgingeri: What about my existing account? Do I forfeit these accounts? Can I keep the same numbers at least?
    Lira: Yes, you can keep your existing account, you can use them both and you can also keep your numbers.
    Kgingeri: ok thanks.
    Lira: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
    Kgingeri: no, that's all

@ saltsprung
    with an ethernet splitter I guess...
    No they appear to be using a A/C to USB adaptor/charger for power at least.
    Not sure if a regular USB adaptor would work or not. They may have some electronics in the adaptor to lock it to their MJ adaptor - not sure.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, that last post is a little misleading though. To put it in proper context ...
    The old MJ can't be upgraded to MJ PLUS because of the embedded hardware differences. YES, if you previously purchased additional years of service for the old device, you'll lose those just like I did. But in all fairness, for $30 bucks per year local including long distance, I don't really care. It's not pleasant, but a loss that's still easily made up by the savings and then some.

The $69.95 is only for the device plus a year of included service. However, additional years of service only cost $29.95 and that wasn't mentioned here. Last but not least, you do get to keep your old number. If you port an existing MJ number over to MJ PLUS there isn't even a porting fee. If you port other numbers the fee is $19.95 which is still cheaper than most other companies. We have two MJ PLUS devices and we don't use *******. They're plugged into our router and outlets.

YES, MagicJack support is the worst on this planet. I've been online since 1991 and their support sucks the pits. No phone, no email, strictly chat, often with people who don't really seem to know anything about the actual device themselves. Just reading a script which clearly shows their lack of knowledge if you ever have a real problem. BUT ... that's why you have search engines, an unofficial magicjack support forum, and a very nice FAQ section directly on the MJ site.
    Again, for $30 bucks per year there really isn't anything to complain about when you consider the savings in your pocket.

PLEASE ... don't waste anyone's time (your own included) with foolish or utterly useless comments!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456