Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New 2.6.24 -20 Kernel, Better luck Guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: New 2.6.24 -20 Kernel, Better luck Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by cdtech View Post
    Seems if I go above the 24 I have serious issues....
    Perhaps you compiled it wrong?
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    Ext4 may(it is very unlikely) never be on Hardy unless you compile a kernel including the modules on your own and install the ext4 utilities. On Intrepid, there was no blueprint for the inclusion of ext4 into Intrepid, so ext4 may not reach Intrepid either.
    So next year then ? I think so. The ext4 engineers seem to be really pushing.
    But what fs do you use ? and why ?
    I plan to replace my vista install with Debian. Doing some research and trying to get some feedback on the various filesystems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BGFG View Post
    So next year then ? I think so. The ext4 engineers seem to be really pushing.
    But what fs do you use ? and why ?
    I plan to replace my vista install with Debian. Doing some research and trying to get some feedback on the various filesystems.
    I currently use ext3, I use it because it is known to be reliable and also because it has the necessary utilities which can be useful when the filesystem breaks down in some way, as I understand it the ext4 utilities are not completed yet.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Maybe a stupid question. But when ext4 reaches Ubuntu, will the file system change to ext4 from 3 during the distro update?
    Acer Aspire Revo R3600 - Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HDD, nVidia ION
    Free of Windows since :22nd Dec 07
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by chewit View Post
    Maybe a stupid question. But when ext4 reaches Ubuntu, will the file system change to ext4 from 3 during the distro update?
    I don't think so, doing an upgrade is only upgrading the packages and no more. But it's not like ext3 support will be dropped by Ubuntu instantaneously, look at ext2.

Beans

I don't think that was a stupid question either. Filesystems are how the data is physically stored on the disk. So if you were to change a fs i don't see how it could be converted to a new physical format and still maintain data integrity. But that would be cool to see though.
    Whenever ext4 gets here, Fresh install for me.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234