Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Firefox Question?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Firefox Question?

OK I'm a beginner so here are two basic questions about Firefox!

1. How do I set it so it does NOT automaically load Firefox when I boot up? right now it goes straight into Firefox every time.

2. I understand the Hardy install disk I downloaded has Firefox 3 beta on it (at least that's what I read in a Linux mag the other day) So I looked at the Firefox 3 download and got the impression that it's no longer beta (correct me if I'm wrong)

I downloaded Firefox 3 and it's now on my desktop as a tar folder. I clicked on extract and extracted it to the desktop and now have a second Firefox folder there. My original Firefox shortcut remains. How do I get it to update? or have I gone about this in the wrong way? Please tell me how I should do this (asssuming the download is more recent than the original install version)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firefox Question?

Firefox loads at startup?? Does it go to a certain page?? If you ran the updater you have firefox 3.0.1 which is not a beta.
    Kubuntu Computer Geeks
    My Blog

Beans

my advice is to open up a terminal and run this

sudo apt-get update

then run this

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

that should update your system. hope it helps,

Phil

edit: with Linux you rarely have to download a program from a web site to install it, simply look in either the Add/Remove, Synaptic Package Manager, or you can do your own package management via the command line with either apt-get or aptitude

Beans

1) To remove firefox from startup:
    go to System->Preferences->Sessions->Startup Programs(tab) and remove firefox from there.
    2) If you have updated your system after installation then you have updated your firefox too, it should be 3.0.1 now. To update firefox manually:
    in terminal type:
    Code:
    gksudo firefox
    In firefox select Help->Check For Updates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Welcome to the forums

What both of the previous posters has said is correct. If you've installed your updates you should be fully up to date with firefox.

If there are programs that you are looking for I'd suggest looking in the repositories (>System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager) It will ask for your password and then you can search for any programs you like. Click on them and click on apply and they are downloaded and installed for you. No tarballs etc.

I'd also suggest looking through pschocats' tutorials : http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

I've found them very helpful.

I hope this helps you
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK thanks. I guess I went about this the wrong way by clicking on the download in the Firefox website. I clicked on download manager and it updated my system (inc Firefox) in no time flat! I just have the two files on the desktop from my earlier failed attempt so I just delete these right?

Re Startup: I went to System/administration/sessions. There is no Firefox listed under the Startup tab !

It usually defaults by going to the "Welcome to Ubuntu" page. However, last night it was going to my last viewed pages. Today it's back to the default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd look in "Session Preferences" under the tab "Session Options" to make sure the Automatically remember running applications when logging out is not clicked.

Its the only other option I can think of at this time.

I hope it helps
    For a custom Google Search Engine providing results from Ubuntu related sites click Here

When your problem is resolved, please mark it SOLVED

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by alzie View Post
    I'd look in "Session Preferences" under the tab "Session Options" to make sure the Automatically remember running applications when logging out is not clicked.

Its the only other option I can think of at this time.

I hope it helps
    No that's definately not clicked and I've checked several times. So I'm stumped as to why it's still Loading Firefox!
    Mariane

Beans

Regarding Firefox 3.0.1, although it isnt in the beta stages anymore, its an official "stable" release, I have experienced many problems with it. Quite a large portion of websites do not currently support this new version, for example www.travelinecymru.co.uk (transport planner). However, I do think its got some good new features in it, including the ability to drag pics from the page to your files. nice touch!

M!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

you could try Firefox 2 from synaptic package manager maybe that would help!!!
    *BUNTU addict
    Ubuntunerd's Blog
    Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life.
    Unanswered posts Team
    How to mark your Threads as Solved
    download "Opera" a fast and secure browser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast