Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

dharmabummed

everyone is a noob to begin with. I apologize. It was my fault to say that "its not news".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harak View Post
    dharmabummed

everyone is a noob to begin with. I apologize. It was my fault to say that "its not news".
    dude, no worries, it's november in sweden and the sun is dissapearing, thus i think i'm a little over sensitive right now

peace

Beans

Hello,

in one of the last updates, my audio completely stopped working.

While just after (intrepid) installation it just didn't emit sounds (problem solved by just inserting the right string in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base), now alsa doesn't even see the soundcard; for example, if I run mplayer I get:
    Code:
    AO: [pulse] Failed to connect to server: Invalid argument
    [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_pulse.c:625:(pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: Invalid argument

[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Input/output error
    [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
    [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_pulse.c:625:(pulse_prepare) PulseAudio: Unable to create stream: Invalid argument

[AO_ALSA] Unable to set hw-parameters: Input/output error
    [AO ARTS] loading the aRts backend "/usr/lib/libartscbackend.la" failed
    [AO ESD] latency: [server: 0.19s, net: 0.00s] (adjust 0.19s)
    AO: [esd] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
    Video: no video
    Starting playback...

MPlayer interrupted by signal 13 in module: play_audio
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
      It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
      gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
      DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
      won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
    Does someone have the same problem?

I'm a little afraid filing a bug would be nonsense, since the card is just officially not recognized...

Speaking of: I opened this bug on ALSA https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/al...ew.php?id=4234 , but maybe one must register to see it.

Isn't it possible do bring all the info we got so far in a wiki page (I mean: something more readable than hundreds of pages of forum)? I can offer the wiki, if there are no better solutions (I don't know if the official Ubuntu wiki appreciates collaborative, work-in-progress works...)

Beans

having a strange problem with ibex:
    everytime i reboot the router (to which i'm connected via wifi) the system hangs??? only thing to do is a hard reboot...
    no problem if i turn the pc's wireless off and on during the router's reboot...

ideas?

ps. the wiki would be usefull!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by harak View Post
    Apart from the boot commands... did you allow change of the blacklist file as well? Also you should still have the 2.6.26* kernel visible... why not log in using that with acpi=off and then try to fix broken packages?
    Nope. 2.6.26 not visible. I'm just going to install from scratch. Thanks for your help, though.

Beans

Hello. 2 things:

- my audio finally works without (the "jack non recognized") problems. I'm still not able to say if I was only dumb in the past or updates solved the problem in the present, but it disappeared
    - I created the wiki page I writing about some posts ago. It's at http://www.pietrobattiston.it/wiki/d...avilion_tx2500 and whoever wants to add info will be given an account . If you know of some more "institutional" wiki to host it let me know.
    - if someone can give me a hint for a good howto for fprint, gdm and PAM integration , I will appreciate it
    bye

Pietro

Beans

Hello,
    I'm new to linux so I'm not too familiar with its errors.
    I got a TX2510us AMD Turion X2 2.1ghz Puma
    3GB RAM 250GB HD
    The problem is I can't even get it to install. If I try installing it with ACPI it will automatically shut down after I press ENTER(PLEASE EJECT CD BLABLA THEN PRESS ENTER). However if I press F6 and toggle acpi=off, it will not even start the installation. After it loads the linux kernel it will give me a black screen with errors, and the final line reads:
    [ 50.321939] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I have no idea what this means... can someone please help me?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

I am using ubuntu 8.04 now. Im going to give you a suggestion of last resort wipe your in entire hard drive drive and star a clean installation of ubuntu 8.04 I know of a tool to wipe your drive completely http://www.dban.org/ warning be careful save all data before using this

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by networm1230 View Post
    I am using ubuntu 8.04 now. Im going to give you a suggestion of last resort wipe your in entire hard drive drive and star a clean installation of ubuntu 8.04 I know of a tool to wipe your drive completely http://www.dban.org/ warning be careful save all data before using this
    I really don't think wiping the hard drive can be a solution... at least not the first I'd suggest for a kernel panic...

Drklght, did you check the CD for integrity? And test memory (if the computer is new, I'd leave it at least a couple of hours testing)?
    Both options are available from the first menu that comes out (after you've chosen the language).

Also, if both CD and memory test succeed, could you try just to boot (not install, if you prefer 8.04) an Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) CD and see if it works?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: HOWTO: Install Hardy (8.04.1) on HP tx2500

Quote Originally Posted by toobaz View Post
    I really don't think wiping the hard drive can be a solution... at least not the first I'd suggest for a kernel panic...

Drklght, did you check the CD for integrity? And test memory (if the computer is new, I'd leave it at least a couple of hours testing)?
    Both options are available from the first menu that comes out (after you've chosen the language).

Also, if both CD and memory test succeed, could you try just to boot (not install, if you prefer 8.04) an Intrepid (Ubuntu 8.10) CD and see if it works?
    yes! before I installed ubuntu 8.04 on my PC I did do all the testing that the ubuntu live CD had including memory testing. warning memory testing tacks a long time. you do not need to install ubuntu on your PC if you just wont to test ubuntu out run it off the live CD doing this will not touch you PC hardware. the live CD run off of Ram memory

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast