Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wireless Issues

Beans

Wireless Issues

So I'm really new to Ubuntu. I have the operating system installed already and I'm dual booting with Windows at the moment.

The problem is that I can not get my wireless card to work.

I'm using a Marvell TopDog 802.11n (CB82) wireless adapter. I've read some things here but I'm finding it fairly difficult to understand. Also, all of the guides require the use of the internet through a wire to get things up and running.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get this up and running without use of ethernet? And a fairly noob-proof explanation would be great.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Beans

Re: Wireless Issues

if it requires drivers, rather difficultly...

What is the output of this command in the terminal?

Code:
    iwconfig
    If your wireless card has been detected and the modules loaded, this will tell you.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

According to several posts in other forums, there is no native driver for Linux for this chipset. So, if that is the case, you will need to use Ndiswrapper, which, according to same posts, WILL work with this wireless chipset. Marvell is generally poorly supported natively in Linux.

If that is what you have to do to get it working, it should not be too difficult for us to get you through it.

Bob

Beans

Okay cool. that iwconfig command returns

Code:
    lo	no wireless extensions
    eth0	no wireless extensions
    Also, is there any wireless cards that work pretty much out of the box with Ubuntu? Because of it's going to be a huge hassle, maybe just buying a new card is the way to go?

Beans

It might not be a huge hassle, but mileage may vary depending on knowledge.

It appears that you will most definitely require a hard-link connection first though, as you'll have to get ndiswrapper, the windows drivers for ndiswrapper to use, etc...

If you are in the mindscape of getting a new wireless, this site may help you choose wisely. But it depends on what you have...

I recommend either Atheros PCI cards (such as Netgear 311 range), or Intel Wireless PCI (I'm using a iw4965).
    But PCI is the buzzword here. I do much prefer them over shoddy USB sticks...

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; July 28th, 2008 at 09:14 PM.

Beans

Well if I'm going to have to hook this up through ethernet I'll have to take my computer in to work tomorrow.

As for your suggested cards, will those drivers automatically be installed? And if so, could you link me to a website that has them up for sale?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

actually the purpose of the live cd is to try it first and check if its compatible with all your hardware i encountered also while installing ubuntu on both compaq presario laptop 1 minen and 1 from my cousin my cousins laptop which is compaq v6000 is pretty much compatible with ubuntu,

while mine compaq c745EE just the wireless problem just the same as you,

as they told you to use the ndiswrapper program you need to have the copy of your windows driver inf and thats the file you will need to use for that ndiswrapper.

just point of advice just try and try eventually youll get it working

if you are really persistent to get youre wireless working

Beans

Okay I have my computer hooked up through ethernet right now for the next ~8 hours. If anyone can try and help my get my wireless working before the time is up that'd be awesome

[edit] and by help, I mean hopefully guide me step by step.

Beans

No one at all?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I will be glad to help you set it up. As I mentioned in a previous post, I believe you will ndiswrapper with this chipset. Do you have ndiswrapper installed?
    Bob

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast