Thread: Replacement motherboard options

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Replacement motherboard options

It appears that my motherboard has bit the dust. I can't keep the machine powered on for longer than a few hours and sometimes not longer than 5 seconds. Right now everything connected to it in any way is a different part from when I started diagnosing it. I was really hoping it'd just be the PSU or something. It's an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe BTW.

So I'm looking for a new motherboard and want at least 8 SATA 3 Gb/s ports but would prefer 9-10. I'm running Ubuntu Server 8.04 with software RAID5 with 7 disks (would be 7+hot spare if I have 10 SATA ports.) So rather than spend a lot of money on a PCIe SATA controller I'd rather just get it integrated on the motherboard as long as it can handle the storage bandwidth.

I'm currently looking at the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 and the Asus P5Q Premium mainly because they're the only LGA 775 boards I know of with 10 SATA 3Gb/s ports. They're very similar but I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these on Linux. I'd hate to blow $250 on a board that isn't fully compatible.

I will be using this board for Ubuntu Server hosting LAMP, RAID, and VMWare Server. Are there any other good boards out there I'm overlooking?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Replacement motherboard options

I vote for the gigabyte. Even at the chip level the boards look identical. The gigabyte however is slightly cheaper (newegg 7/28/2008). and also I have good results with gigabyte in general (i dont have this exact board). I have one asus board and I feel like my gigabytes work better. I have no specific complaints about the asus but I just dont like it as much.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Replacement motherboard options

I have the same symptoms as you do.
    I'm going for an Asus P5K now.

However:STAY AWAY from Gigabyte-Mainboards.
    They are not reliable. (Third Mainboard, 3rd Time gigabyte.. third failure)
    lm_sensors never worked for me the right way either...