Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Nvidia drivers now not working

Beans

[SOLVED] Nvidia drivers now not working

Hi. Running 8.04.1. I have onboard Nvidia graphics, and they were working with the "proprietary drivers" just fine, including all effects compiz. I am trying to install Wine and a recording app Reaper and am following this guide: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=16786

After installing everything on the Linux side, I restarted for the changes to take effect. When I restarted, the graphics are back to 800x600, and the Nvidia drivers do not appear in the "Hardware Drivers" section. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Nvidia drivers now not working

Have you also updated your system with a new kernel? The last one I had was on 15 July, but if you do not update regularly it might have arrived with you later than that. If this is the case, you will need to reinstall the nvidia driver again. It is needed every time there is a kernel update/upgrade, I'm afraid.

Beans

Well, I just installed 8.04.1 like two days ago, does that change anything?

Also, would any of the changes in the guide I am using affect graphics perhaps? How do I upgrade the kernel? (will search)

And how do I REINSTALL the nvidia driver when it does not appear in the Hardware drivers list?

Thanks again

Beans

You could try and install it in Envy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sumpm1 View Post

Also, would any of the changes in the guide I am using affect graphics perhaps? How do I upgrade the kernel? (will search)

And how do I REINSTALL the nvidia driver when it does not appear in the Hardware drivers list?

Thanks again
    Take a look at the Ubuntu video card setup guide here and make note of the changes (and links) with hardy and xorg 7.3.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yeah. EnvyNG is simple and convenient. I'd really suggest you to use it to save the hassle of installing the drivers yourself.

The link is here...
    http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

Hack the Planet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by sumpm1 View Post

Thanks again
    1. sudo apt-get remove nvidia* (will also remove any other restricted modules (e.g.-madwifi), so watch out)
    2. sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk
    3. enable the proposed repositories
    4. sudo apt-get update
    5. sudo envyng -g
    6. Select Nvidia on the left side, now click on Install the Nvidia driver (Manual Selection of the Driver), select 173, and finally click Apply.
    7. Once the installation is completed, reboot and you will once again have a crisp screen.

Beans

I installed envyng in the synaptic package manager. I ran it and just had it detect my hardware. I am now stuck in 640x480. I am a total newb to Linux.

I want to know why the Nvidia "restricted drivers" don't appear in the "hardware drivers" list anymore? How can I get those drivers back, cause I can't hardly see the sreen at 640x480 lol!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Did you select the Nvidia driver or the ATI driver in Envy ?

Hack the Planet

Beans

Of course I selected the Nvidia driver! I tried Envy 3 times and still was stuck at 640x480. I used Envy to remove the Nvidia drivers just to get back to 800x600 so I could see! Like I said, I am newb, and know very little about kernels and such. I belive the tutorial I did updated the kernel to realtime kernel, could this be the problem? And how can I check my kernel? How do I know if there is a Nvidia driver for that kernel?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast