Thread: CLUMPC on Windows wireless network - file sharing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

CLUMPC on Windows wireless network - file sharing

My brother-in-law is looking to buy either a ASUS eeepc or an Acer Aspire One. He wants to go with the linux option, but he's never used linux before, and is going to need to be able to access shared files on a Windows wireless network. Will that be easy enough for him to do with Xandros or Linpus? Thanks.
    Linux user since January 31st, 2006.
    two ways to live :: the choice we all face

Beans
    Distro

Re: CLUMPC on Windows wireless network - file sharing

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Xandros is based on debian with some proprietory apps thrown in, It is probably one of the most windows like of the linux distributions, he should have no problems at all.

Just as an aside, I did private beta testing for Xandros version 1.0 , but I really haven't looked at it in the last few years. If the same people are running it now as back then, they are very approachable if you have any problems.

Jim

Beans

FYI, Xandros doesn't support the system on EEE - Asus does. They should be the ones handling your support requests and bug reports. Even considering that I would go with Xandros, the "Easy Mode" - a simplified interface for people not familiar with computers, is very easy to use. Plus finding help online with Xandros would be much easier.
    Last edited by bgerlich; July 29th, 2008 at 06:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that the interface is user friendly. Is it safe to assume then that both of these laptops would be able to easily access files shared on a Windows wireless network?

He is currently leaning toward the Acer Aspire One, but is hesitant of the linux version because it comes with a very small hard drive. If he could easily store and access his pictures and music on his external hard drive through his existing Windows wireless network, I think the hard drive would not be a problem. Is that feasible? Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Distro

If he got the Windows version of the Acer Aspire One, which has quite a large hard drive, would I be able to install Linpus Linux Lite, or some other super-user-friendly and fast distribution on it? It dosen't have an optical drive, so would that be a problem?