Thread: nVidia Drivers and Flash

Beans

nVidia Drivers and Flash

Hey, is it just me, or do the drivers for nVidia cards (mine's an 8600GT) suck? While running the default graphics driver, browsing is smooth and flash menus are perfect, but I can't use any spiffy desktop effects (I guess due to no openGL support). But after installing 2 or 3 different nVidia drivers, including the latest right now, flash performance is not too great. I can run Firefox inside XP insided VirtualBox far better than running it inside Ubuntu. Is there some driver that will give me openGL support for desktop effects that doesn't suck at the flash stuff?

Beans

Re: nVidia Drivers and Flash

nvidia refuses to open up their drivers, and says that their proprietary drivers are "good enough." So on one hand we can't be too terribly happy with nvidia because they will not allow US in on their game, but at least they support Linux.

That said, I have had similar experiences. The "nv" drivers work fine (great, even) for everything that doesn't require 3D performance.

As of the moment I, personally, do not have a solution (although I'd love to hear one.) All I can say is that it is likely a tradeoff.

You may try, though, running your system with the nvidia drivers but WITHOUT compiz or 3D effects enabled. See if that has an effect.

Beans

I'll try disabling all visual goodies when I get home, but I hate that I have to decide between snazzy effects that make my friends jealous, and graphics performance on browsing and such, which is like 90% of what I do on my computer during leisure time.

Beans

I turned off all effects goodies, and flash stuff was still pretty slow. I guess it's just a matter of the nVidia driver not being too hot at that stuff. If we could just merge the nv driver with the nVidia.... I'll get some duct tape.