Thread: [SOLVED] Need resolution help

Beans

[SOLVED] Need resolution help

I use a small monitor with my desktop. I am only offered 2 resolutions - 800x600 & 640x480 and also 2 refresh 60Hz & 56Hz.
    Also the bottom of windows do not appear (see screen shot). I know it's a simple fix for some, but I need assistance please. Thanks
    Last edited by IusedTObeSOMEONEelse; December 31st, 2008 at 10:22 PM.

Beans

Re: Need resolution help

Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y --type bool 0
    then with ALT+MOUSE1 button you can move your window where you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo displayconfig-gtk
    On the window that appears choose your monitor model. If it is not on the list choose a general model with your max screen resolution.

If 800x600 is the max resolution your monitor can handle, download a compact theme drom here (just type compact on the search field):

http://www.gnome-look.org/

and use smaller fonts, decrease the size of the panels or even better use only one panel.

PS: To move the window so you can see it hold Alt pressed, click on the window and move it.

Beans

Setting smaller font sizes
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/desktop_font --type string "Sans 8"
    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/document_font_name --type string "Sans 8"
    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/font_name --type string "Sans 8"
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/titlebar_font --type string "Sans Bold 8"
    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/monospace_font_name --type string "Monospace 8"
    Removing icons from the Menu
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons --type bool 0
    All applications can go full-screen using F11
    Code:
    gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_fullscreen --type string "<Alt>F11"
    and remember to use what i told you in the secondth post.

Beans

Thanks so much. It's an old Kodak monitor and of coursae I had to play and wound up broken but I dropped into recovery and fixed my broken x and all is good now