Thread: Help!!!!low resolution after reboot and ubunto refused to recognise my 8800gt card

Beans

Angry Help!!!!low resolution after reboot and ubunto refused to recognise my 8800gt card

HI!! I am New to Ubuntu andfacing a proplem from the time i checked proposed repositories in synaptic and thereby enabling Pre-released Updates (Hardy Proposed). This installed a newer Kernel 2.6.24.20 in my grub menu.Before this I was using 2.6.24.19 Kernel which was absolutely OK but due to some other problems I had to reinstall ubuntu (with formatting my ubuntu drive)
    With new installation I decided to go for proposed updates and I downloaded certain other packages and files as per my understanding of them through the details provided by synaptic
    After installing all the updates I installed the latest Nvidia drivers (I am using 8800gt) which I downloaded from Nvidia website.Then I restarted my PC but when I entered ubuntu I saw my PC goinginti low resolution state (800*600 I presume as against my resolution of 1440*900) .I tried every possibility includig installing older Nvidia drivers proposed by ubuntu hardware driver manager but to no help.
    PLEASE ADVISE WHERE THE TRUE PROBLEM LIES . IS IT WITH MY NEW NVIDIA DRIVERS or THE PROPOSED KERNEL 2.6.24.20 or WITH ANY OTHER PACKAGES WHICH I DON'T REALLY REMEMBER.
    The new Nvidia driver were perfectly fine before I formatted my drive and din't installed all those packages of ubuntu and other optional repositories (you can't realy diffentiate between the two after enabling all the repositories)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Help!!!!low resolution after reboot and ubunto refused to recognise my 8800gt car

you should you envy to install your drivers for your card, evny supports 8000 series cards
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-gtk