Thread: nvidea & Supertux etc problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

nvidea & Supertux etc problems

Now that I have moved form 7.10 to 8.04 -- I find that I cannot run any of the Supertux games (Supertuxcart, Supertux 2, or Planet Penguin Racer). All of these worked fine before the update.

My Nvidea card is Geforce 6600 GT -- I am using the 'nv' driver (this has given me the best screen resolution so far -- allowing for 1024 x 768 ).

The games won't even start -- the screen momentarily flashes and then returns to the current screen without so much as an error message. Any ideas on what is causing this and how to address it? Thanks for any illumination on this.

Beans

Re: nvidea & Supertux etc problems

Do you have compiz on or off?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Perhaps Supertux requires OpenGL acceleration, which in the case of the nv driver(which you are using) does not work. Did you try activating the Nvidia restricted driver by going to Hardware Drivers in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers?
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by ozbolt View Post
    Do you have compiz on or off?
    How do I check this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda View Post
    Perhaps Supertux requires OpenGL acceleration, which in the case of the nv driver(which you are using) does not work. Did you try activating the Nvidia restricted driver by going to Hardware Drivers in System>Administration>Hardware Drivers?
    When I tried using the "nvidea' driver in 8.04 I was limited to 800x600 screen resolution. This was unacceptable.