Thread: Screen wont go to sleep while I'm logged in.

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Screen wont go to sleep while I'm logged in.

I have my desktop running Xubuntu 8.04.1. I have it set to run the screensaver after 9 minutes, then put the display to sleep after 10 minutes. The screen never goes to sleep. I discovered that the screen WILL go to sleep when inactive if it's sitting at the login screen and I haven't logged in yet. Once I log in, the screensaver will activate when I want, but the monitor will not shut down.

I've looked all over the forum via google and can't find a solution. I've only found people pointing to "Applications->Settings->Settings Manager->Screen Saver->Power Management."
    That doesn't help because it IS set to put the display to sleep, it just wont do it.

Beans

Re: Screen wont go to sleep while I'm logged in.

the solution is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=854557

It is an issue with the gnome-screensaver not autostarting. just follow the thread power settings should start to work.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy the saint View Post
    the solution is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=854557

It is an issue with the gnome-screensaver not autostarting. just follow the thread power settings should start to work.
    I was already able to get to power management through the screen saver settings under Applications->Settings->Settings Manager.
    I already have it set to put the display to sleep after 10 minutes but it just doesn't put the display to sleep if I'm logged in. If I start the computer and don't log in right away, the screen goes to sleep after 10 mintes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    it IS set to put the display to sleep, it just wont do it.

Beans

You need to enable the gnome-screensaver package for any of the power management options to take effect. It doesn't matter what you tell it to do through the power management options unless you do this. The setting do absolutely nothing until you set gnome-screensaver to run at startup manually.