Thread: navidia 9800 vidio cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

navidia 9800 vidio cards

i am trying to decide on a vidio card for a intel dp35dp media board nvidia 9800 . But there are different 9800`s . i want to run a 1706(acer) and 2016w(acer) monitors no vidio out . how can i tell if the vidio card will do this? i was told not all 9800`s are alike! but no one can explain the differences . can some one explain vidio card selection ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: navidia 9800 vidio cards

Quote Originally Posted by geogur View Post
    i am trying to decide on a vidio card for a intel dp35dp media board nvidia 9800 . But there are different 9800`s . i want to run a 1706(acer) and 2016w(acer) monitors no vidio out . how can i tell if the vidio card will do this? i was told not all 9800`s are alike! but no one can explain the differences . can some one explain vidio card selection ?
    All 9800's will have outputs for two monitors... Take a look at the ATI 4870, it's a better deal in my opinion.

Beans

Re: navidia 9800 vidio cards

Quote Originally Posted by hotweiss View Post
    All 9800's will have outputs for two monitors... Take a look at the ATI 4870, it's a better deal in my opinion.

A better deal if you are looking for gaming performance, yes. Price to performance that is a great card.

To note as well it will have support for dual monitors.

However, these cards are overpowered and overprices if all you are looking to do is run two monitors smoothly. You don't need anything in this pricerange unless you are gaming a lot. Look in to something like a 9600GT or an 8800GT. You should be able to find a card that will run dual monitors smoothly for around $100, and certainly in the $100-$150 range. Just look for a card that has two DVI outputs.