Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Guest Additions in VirtualBox

Beans

Installing Guest Additions in VirtualBox

i found this article about how to do it

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/10/...in-virtualbox/

when i click on Devices > Install Guest Additions, nothing comes up, ever. i know he says it could take a while to open but i waited 5 minutes an nothing opened.

is there a way to do this through a terminal? is so how.

thankx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing Guest Additions in VirtualBox

when i click on Devices > Install Guest Additions, nothing comes up, ever. i know he says it could take a while to open but i waited 5 minutes an nothing opened.
    When you do that make sure that there is no cd, dvd in your drives. If there is one, remove them, restart the virtual machine and you will be able to install the additions.

Beans

The process can vary a lot. Are you attempting to install guest additions on a linux guest? You will probably need to install build-essential and your kernel headers first. Then navigate to the guest additions cd (cd /media/cdrom) and run [code]sudo sh ./VBoxLinux*). I had to us sh in order for it to work. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by jonian_g View Post
    When you do that make sure that there is no cd, dvd in your drives. If there is one, remove them, restart the virtual machine and you will be able to install the additions.
    Sorry, I got it wrong. That is for windows being the guest os not the host...

Beans

i should of said this at the beginning

Ubuntu is the main OS on my hdd and Windows XP is installed through the VM.

are either of you guy's instructions for my situation or were you refering to the opposite setup?(installing ubuntu in the VM with windows as the main OS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eival View Post
    i should of said this at the beginning

Ubuntu is the main OS on my hdd and Windows XP is installed through the VM.

are either of you guy's instructions for my situation or were you refering to the opposite setup?(installing ubuntu in the VM with windows as the main OS)
    I was refering at having windows installed in a virtual machine using ubuntu as the main os.

Beans

i tried restarting after i took out the XP disc, but it still doesnt respond when i click on Install Guest Addition.

do you know what else it could be?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry mate, no ideas.

EDIT: I found something that might do the job for you. You can download an .exe installer and run it in your virtual windows to install the additions. Get it here:

http://code.google.com/p/virtual-box...downloads/list

Generaly when you try to install the guest additions from the vbox menu, it dowbloads an .iso file and mounts it. The only problem that might occur is the drive to be occupied (a disc in the drive or another .iso mounted).
    Last edited by jonian_g; July 28th, 2008 at 05:11 PM.

Beans

Sorry mate, no ideas.

EDIT: I found something that might do the job for you. You can download an .exe installer and run it in your virtual windows to install the additions. Get it here:

Generaly when you try to install the guest additions from the vbox menu, it dowbloads an .iso file and mounts it. The only problem that might occur is the drive to be occupied (a disc in the drive or another .iso mounted).
    alright ill try this when i get home. thanks

Beans

Sorry mate, no ideas.

How are you supposed to run the .exe in VirtualBox when you have no mouse control??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast