Thread: [SOLVED] trash bin icon is missing from my desktop?

Beans

[SOLVED] trash bin icon is missing from my desktop?

hi all. i'm having a little problem i hope i can get some help with. the trash bin icon thats usually located at the bottom right of the screen disappeared today. i think i accidently choose to remove from panel instead of empty trash.

please let me know what i can do. thank you so much 2 all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: trash bin icon is missing from my desktop?

Right click on the panel and choose "Add to panel". On the window that comes up find the trash bin, select it and click the add button.

It will appear on your panel. To move it and place it where you want, right click on the trash bin icon and choose move.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Do you want the trash on the desktop or on the lower panel?

If desktop: open a terminal or press alt-F2 and type 'gconf-editor' (no quotes) and press return. In the Configuration Editor window, navigate to apps > nautilus > desktop and tick trash_icon_visible.

If panel: right-click on panel, select 'Add to Panel' and choose Trash. It's actually called 'Deleted Items' on my install, but I don't know whether the name varies according to region. My system is set for English (UK) - perhaps it's different for other variants of English. I don't know.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jonian_g View Post
    Right click on the panel and choose "Add to panel". On the window that comes up find the trash bin, select it and click the add button.

It will appear on your panel. To move it and place it where you want, right click on the trash bin icon and choose move.
    again, thanks for such a quick response. it work perfectly as stated, even added a few other items, i didnt know about. do you know if ubuntu has a "dock" kinda like MAC OS X. it also looked kinda cool to me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] trash bin icon is missing from my desktop?

Yep. Go to add/remove and install Avant Window Navigator. It's the best in my opinion. You must have compiz enabled for it to work.

Beans

thanks for that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

If desktop: open a terminal or press alt-F2 and type 'gconf-editor' (no quotes) and press return. In the Configuration Editor window, navigate to apps > nautilus > desktop and tick trash_icon_visible.

If panel: right-click on panel, select 'Add to Panel' and choose Trash. It's actually called 'Deleted Items' on my install, but I don't know whether the name varies according to region. My system is set for English (UK) - perhaps it's different for other variants of English. I don't know.
    Thanks for this
    Weapon: Dell Inspiron 2200
    (HD) 30 gigs
    (RAM) 1.28GB MAX RAM
    (CPU) Intel Celeron M (1.60GHz, 400MHZ FSB, 2MB Cache)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

same problem here - missing trash can on desktop.

and i did above. but the trash icon still doesn't show up on desktop. any ideas?