Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheap laptop that support linux...

Beans

Re: Cheap laptop that support linux...

After having my $379 Everex gBook with the 15.4 inch 1440x900 display for about a month I strongly recommend it as an excellent value...
    I spent about $50 to upgrade it to 2Gig of RAM but it actually uses less than the 512MB it came with most of the time. (I plan on eventually running some virtual machines and/or writing some programs that are likely to work with some huge data sets in memory...) My favorite part about it is that it runs cool without cooking your lap if you choose to let it rest there...
    I suggest installing Ubuntu 8.04 right off the bat like I did...

Beans

Well if you end up getting the Aspire..warn her not to leave it on her lap..those things can fry eggs.
    "It is one thing to show a man that he is in an error, and another to put him in possession of the truth." (John Locke)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Uh, no idea why it took so long to mention this, but there is a Dell laptop for $499 that comes preloaded with Ubuntu, and the specs are decent.

Beans

Last edited by mikjp; July 30th, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

Beans

If your willing to buy used, and install ubuntu yourself go to www.usanotebook.com. They sell alot of refurbished notebooks.
    Adam Hanson
    Acer Aspire 5251-1513 Windows 7
    Gateway LT2016U Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Dell Inspiron 1525, comes with Ubuntu installed.

Had one for a month, cost GBP 299 - very good value - very good screen.

Delighted with it.
    Use Gambas ; - Symbol polymorphism is now correctly handled when the inheritance depth is greater than two!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I also purchased the Everex gbook laptop from newegg a few monthes ago I was please enough with it to purchase a second one to give to my daughter. Mine has ubuntu on it the only problems I'm having is getting the sound to work which I'm not to concerned about, and to see if I can get the VIA 3d video drivers to work, under linux. The second laptop, I install XP on and everthing works fine. I really enjoy the computer I think it's a good buy!!

Beans

I had an Acer Aspire 3000...It worked great with Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu, but the thing was extremely fragile. Barely lasted two years before the hinges became totally shot and began destroying themselves. Not only that, but the monitor began getting an intermittent blue line down the right hand side. Eventually, I just gave up on ever getting it fixed (it would have been far too expensive and the problems would have repeated) and instead parted it out on Ebay for whatever I could get out of it.

I still have lots of spare parts for an Aspire 3000 series, should anyone need some...message me here and I'll get in contact with you.

I ended up going with a HP DV6911, which was a little more expensive that what you were looking for...about $699.

You can read my review of that laptop here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=880282

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Eeepc with eeexubuntu? I use my eeepc with Ubuntu aswell
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Beans

I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my ACER ASPIRE 5315 laptop given me as a birthday

present. The problem is that the sound system does not work - my ACER got mute!
    After navigating through all those blind alleys of documentation I felt that I am about

to surrender and come back to an XP or - pardon me! - Vista...
    My name is Oleg. I am 15. Study at School. Love winter sports. Besides Russian (my

mother toungue) I speak English, and some French (just to show off), and, perhaps, I

am the only one in my village who installed - UBUNTU on the PC.
    Oleg A.
    tribusverbis@pravmail.ru

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast