Thread: [SOLVED] Convert mp3 to flac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Convert mp3 to flac?

Hi, I'm wanting to convert a heap of mp3 files to flac files (don't ask, long story). I know there are a few ways of doing this with a GUI, but I have hundreds of files and am hoping to do it with a script so that I don't have to do lots and lots of clicking. So a CLI app or command would be good.

Does anyone know of such a thing? Thank you,

-Nova

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Convert mp3 to flac?

hm... converting from terminal can be a real pain, you'll have to save temporarily the ID3 tags
    The soundconverter GUI application can load directories that contain audio files, it loads ID3 info automatically. It doesn't take much clicking It's in the Ubuntu repositories

You'll also need several other packages (codecs) in order to use it to convert mp3 to flac, give me a couple of minutes if I manage to find my usb stick with the info
    Edit: can't find it, sorry!
    Last edited by forger; July 27th, 2008 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Re: Convert mp3 to flac?

Thank you for those!

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Convert mp3 to flac?

Quote Originally Posted by NovaAesa View Post
    Hi, I'm wanting to convert a heap of mp3 files to flac files (don't ask, long story). I know there are a few ways of doing this with a GUI, but I have hundreds of files and am hoping to do it with a script so that I don't have to do lots and lots of clicking. So a CLI app or command would be good.

Does anyone know of such a thing? Thank you,

-Nova
    OK - I won't ask. I will assume by your statement you know that converting from a lossy to lossless format is not a good idea - I will leave it at that.

I know this is marked solved but I would recommend PACPL (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ighlight=pacpl). It is command line and should be just what you are looking for.

Enjoy

Beans
    Distro

PACPL looks even better. I'll experiment with that one as well =] Thanks.

And yes, I know all about the perils of lossy to lossless

Beans

I too need to convert mp3 to FLAC. Jamendo.com only accepts FLAC or wav, etc, but the only copy i have in in mp3. When i used sound converter, Jamendo.com rejected the files for some reason. When i tried their desktop tool, it said that the files needed to be in 16 bit rate. When i looked at the file properties, next to bitrate is said "n/a". So, i'm assuming this is the problem. Anyone know how i can specify the bitrate?

Beans

Sorry, the error was actually calling for "bit depth" not rate