Thread: [SOLVED] asus a6kt - Hibernate/resume problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] asus a6kt - Hibernate/resume problem

Hi,
    I have tried all the suggestion I was able to find on our forums (s2disk, pm-hibernate, etc.) and no success in resuming.
    Screen remains black.
    Before I continue down the way ( checking some quirk, et similar) I wanted to check if somebody succeded with this laptop (Asus A6kt, similar to A6k and A6000)

Thanks

Palmer
    Last edited by pcolamar; August 5th, 2008 at 09:40 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: asus a6kt - Hibernate/resume problem

Having the a6000 here and am still looking for the solution.

*edit* It's the compiz/emerald, appearantly. turning it off it works. Well, this bites.
    Last edited by t.rei; August 5th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(Solved) Re: asus a6kt - Hibernate/resume problem

t.rei,
    I have somehow succeded.

That's more or less (sorry, I did not write down all the steps though ) what I did:

Verified that the swap is active and of the right size

Installed the packadge "hibernate" and "uswsusp" (I know it's redundand but it works) (see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471855)

and used the command pm-hibernate following this thread (http://en.opensuse.org/S2disk).

Be carefull that when you resume it gives you a blank screen for 30 seconds at least. Do not switch (ctrl+alt+F1) on console during this 30+ seconds.

read also (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=471855) if you have UUID problem in resume

Regards

Palmer
    Last edited by pcolamar; August 5th, 2008 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: (Solved) Re: asus a6kt - Hibernate/resume problem

Well, Resuming taking 30 seconds does not sound to be a valid option really.
    Clicking compiz off before suspend and clicking once to get it back on after resume takes not even 2 seconds.
    I am currently thinking about getting this somehow to be automated. *wonders if thats a good idea*

One major drawback of my "solution" is all the windows being on one virtual desktop after the switching. *sigh* This mixes my work with my "fun" windows - like xchat, banshee, gaim, ... Rather anoying but still alot faster to sort then 30 seconds.

I really hope this is getting better at some time. Composite is - imho - required for an up-to-date Desktop. And I do love the Expose and the Scale-Plugin for everyday work.

*edit*
    I have created two buttons - one to turn cvompiz off: "metacity --replace" and one to turn it on: "compiz --replace -c emerald". placed them as little icons in the panel for minimum space usage and good reaching.
    Last edited by t.rei; August 5th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.