Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OSX Desktop

Beans

Re: Mac OSX Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post
    FUD is all you are spreading...

I like a clean Desktop, so tell me what is wrong with this Desktop?

You can change your Desktop wallpaper - your choice. You can have the HD icons appear on the Desktop or not - your choice. You can have non-animated icons in the Dock - your choice. You can put whatever you want in the Dock - your choice. Getting the picture yet?

Yes, Mac OS X Leopard is so bad. That is why Windows and even Linux users try to copy it verbatim.
    That desktop isn't clean at all.

This is a clean desktop:

Copying the look of an OS (a small minority is only doing that btw), doesn't mean OSX is good. Just that some think it looks good. I'm not one of them.
    Last edited by billgoldberg; July 27th, 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can change your Desktop wallpaper - your choice. You can have the HD icons appear on the Desktop or not - your choice. You can have non-animated icons in the Dock - your choice. You can put whatever you want in the Dock - your choice. Getting the picture yet?

Yes, Mac OS X Leopard is so bad. That is why Windows and even Linux users try to copy it verbatim.
    Word, but you're wasting your breath. Whenever people start describing OSX as dumbed down, dysfunctional, and/or cluttered you will find no reasoning with them.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I am one of those that have tried to slightly emulate a Mac OSX desktop. The icon set is nice as is the window frames, but I have to say the dock is annoyingly pointless, I find it better to have nice tidy icons on the left and right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm afraid you missed the point of my post. I was talking about "out of the box" desktops. I stand by what I said in regards to the default OSX look.

Your tweaks look nice, "billgoldberg's" looks incredible. Mine is pretty basic. And as you pointed out, its about choice. And I think that is the yard stick we should be using.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(image)

That's a bad user, not a bad OS. He's got his whole /home directory in his dock... I don't know why anyone would want that. I just have my applications folder.

Really, an OS is what you make of it. All it takes is a willingness to adjust. I use both OS X and Ubuntu on a regular basis, and I wouldn't give either of them up. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans

Totally agree. I find some icons in OS X butt ugly (folders).At the same time I am big fan of Oxygen and KDE (which resembles nowadays OS X in some way). I hate docks and I like to play with configuration files (hidden folders! There is probably no way to do it with GUI (OK sometimes I prefer terminal)?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And anyways, I beat you guys at desktop minimalism

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...4&d=1217150677

wmii ftw.

And it's available for OS X, too.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Riffer View Post
    Theres been a couple of threads (probably way more) that the basic premise is that the MAC has the best looking desktop out of the box. Sorry I just have to disagree, I find it just way to over the top. The wallpaper is jarring and boring and the dock is just to visually "busy". It looks like the whole point of the desktop is to show of eye candy to the determent of its functionality.

I (and I believe many others) like a clean looking desktop, straight forward and intuitive to use. I don't want my icons to be bouncing around like MS paper clips. I like my desktop to be uncluttered, and while a dock can be fun, having it stretch across the whole desktop is just a waste of space.

While I agree that improvements can and should be made to the out of the box Ubuntu desktop, I don't think that we should use OSX as a yardstick.
    I think you don't get the idea Mark has been praising

is not only the looks and consistency, it's the entire Mac experience.

He wants tat for Ubuntu too. A really functional and mature desktop. Something that can compete head to head in every department, not just looks.

i too think we can archive this in 2 years, just in time to compete with windows 7 and probably even over come it
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by EDavidBurg View Post
    And anyways, I beat you guys at desktop minimalism

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...4&d=1217150677

wmii ftw.

And it's available for OS X, too.
    I could beat you if my desktop didn't look exactly the same..

I could do that if I removed the panel, which has the sole purpose of displaying a menu and my tag space list

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I beat you all - I've got a much cleaner desktop.

Attached Images Attached Images
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast