Thread: QEMU for running MacOS as a "guest" on PPC hardware

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

QEMU for running MacOS as a "guest" on PPC hardware

I would like to be able to run Mac programs on my PowerBook without having to leave Ubuntu, and since the Mac-on-Linux program hasn't yet been patched to run on Hardy, I wondered whether QEMU could be used to do something similar. The QEMU web page states that the program can run the Mac OS as a guest and that it can run from Linux as a host, but can it do these on PPC hardware? Has anyone tried this - I wondered whether it would be fast since in theory this would be virtualization, not emulation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: QEMU for running MacOS as a "guest" on PPC hardware

Quote Originally Posted by http://bellard.org/qemu/about.html
    The virtualizer mode requires that both the host and guest machine use x86 compatible processors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't believe it is possible to run a functional Mac OS with Qemu. Take a look at PearPC and Sheepshaver - one of them runs Mac OS 9, the other runs Mac OS X, and I think they both work on PowerPC.

I never got them to work, but then I didn't spend long trying (and I think the ROM image from my computer was incompatible).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sheepshaver works OK...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I would be happy to run SheepShaver, but I can't seem to compile it. I followed the instructions in the HowTos, but at the make stage, I got a bunch of errors. Here is the output:

Configuration done. Now type "make".
    fox@fox-PowerBook:~/Desktop/SheepShaver-2.3/src/Unix$ make
    gcc -I../include -I. -I../slirp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_REENTRANT -DDATADIR=\"/usr/local/share/SheepShaver\" -g -O2 -c Linux/sheepthreads.c -o obj/sheepthreads.o
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:53: error: field ‘__sem_lock’ has incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:55: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘_pthread_descr’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘fastlock_init’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:190: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:191: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘fastlock_try_acquire’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:197: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:198: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:199: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:203: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘fastlock_acquire’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:211: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘fastlock_release’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:218: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:219: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:219: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:219: error: invalid lvalue in asm output 0
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:219: error: memory input 1 is not directly addressable
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutex_init’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:229: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_lock’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:230: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_kind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:230: error: ‘pthread_mutexattr_t’ has no member named ‘__mutexkind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:231: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_count’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:232: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_owner’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutex_destroy’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:243: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_kind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:245: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_lock’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutex_lock’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:258: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_kind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:260: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_lock’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutex_trylock’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:274: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_kind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:276: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_lock’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutex_unlock’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:289: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_kind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:291: error: ‘pthread_mutex_t’ has no member named ‘__m_lock’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘pthread_mutexattr_init’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:305: error: ‘pthread_mutexattr_t’ has no member named ‘__mutexkind’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘sem_init’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:336: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘sem_destroy’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:351: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:356: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘sem_wait’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:377: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:377: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c: In function ‘sem_post’:
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:400: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:401: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    Linux/sheepthreads.c:401: error: ‘sem_t’ has no member named ‘__sem_waiting’
    make: *** [obj/sheepthreads.o] Error 1

Not to my surprise it wouldn't install. Any idea of what I can do to fix this? With regard to PearPC, I believe it will only run on x86 hardware.
    Last edited by mfox; July 29th, 2008 at 01:50 AM.