Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acer Aspire 5520

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Acer Aspire 5520

You'll need the kernel headers & build-essential packages installed in order to install these packages.

The modem driver is here.

The patch to restore the sound is here.

These worked for me some months ago but there have been kernel updates since I stopped using the modem. I have abandoned the internal modem in favor of a USR5637. In other words, I think these will work for you but I can't be sure.

Good luck.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ModelM View Post
    I don't know how important the built-in modem is to you, but I wanted to clarify something I said.

The sound works out-of-the box. Sound, the volume control wheel on the side, all works fine.

The built-in modem is integrated with the sound card, as is the norm these days. Installing the modem driver from the Dell website makes the modem work (quite well, in fact), but kills the sound. There is then another driver (or driver patch) to install which restores the sound.

I don't know the URL off the top of my head but both of these are on the Dell website, as Debian packages which install with a simple double-click of the mouse (or touchpad). These are compiled during the install so the Kernel headers & build-essentials must be installed, also.

All the same, I'd recommend just buying a nice hardware USB modem & just using that. I have a USR 5637 & it works with no fuss at all. Simply plug the modem into a USB port, point wvdial (or whatever dialer you use) to /dev/ttyACM0 and you're in business.
    I have a USR 5637 too and can't get it to work. It powers up and data blinks too on start. Any ideas?
    Thanks Ken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Have a look at this thread or this one.
    Last edited by ModelM; April 8th, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
    If I have an apple & I give it to you, still only one of us has an apple. But if I know how to do something & show you how to do it, we both now possess that knowledge. This is the community of GNU/Linux.

Beans

Unhappy Re: Acer Aspire 5520

New year, new ubuntu release, same old problems...

nVidia again, don't work property!

no screen resolution, no openGL...

alway, always the same problem in every ubuntu release that I put here.

Isn't fair.. =/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12