Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Yes, i think that was a big mistake. I remember reading about a problem on the Lenovo forum where removing the wireless card was the only solution. I'm not saying that i had the same problem... i just thought it might help.

Couldn't find the battery. The BIOS has no CMOS related options.

Anyway, i have it working now, but not quite perfect. In Vista, i tried Fn-F5, which kicked the interface back into gear. After doing that, in Ubuntu i found i could use the card again after typing "sudo modprobe iwlagn", but this won't survive a reboot. Sorry if my knowledge of dealing with modules is limited, but how can I make this change permanent?
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Then add the name of the module to the bottom of the file, should work.

The CMOS (Complementary metal–oxide–semiconductor) set-up is that screen you get to by hitting F2. CMOS stores the options you select like boot order and is on volatile memory. The BIOS is the OS on that ROM chip. Ya, most people call it BIOS settings but really they are settings in CMOS.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you, HunterThomson!

On to a new can of worms. I have upgraded to Virtualbox 3.0.0, and it's time to migrate to a new virtual machine, since i made a huge mess of snapshots. (My new plan - NO MORE SNAPSHOTS! If i want a backup, i'll just copy the damn image file. But even better than that, i'll save everything elsewhere anyway)

Anyway, it occurs to me that VT-x is disabled by default in the BIOS, and it's not a changeable option. I'm pretty sure my T9300 is capable, but not positive on the chipset.

Then i found this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/m...d=14879#M12068
    It's entitled "Does the Y series have a crippled BIOS?"

And this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/m...d=14879#M12353
    In this post, a guy explains how to fix the problem on a Lenovo 3000 V100, by changing a flag on a BIOS table and writing it to NVRAM. It also has two links to two different apps that will check if VT-x is enabled. One involved booting a CD, the other one i didn't look at.

My questions are... can we figure out how to do this on our Y series models? Is it worth the trouble? ... and does anyone else care enough to try it?
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Thank you, HunterThomson!

On to a new can of worms. I have upgraded to Virtualbox 3.0.0, and it's time to migrate to a new virtual machine, since i made a huge mess of snapshots. (My new plan - NO MORE SNAPSHOTS! If i want a backup, i'll just copy the damn image file. But even better than that, i'll save everything elsewhere anyway)

Anyway, it occurs to me that VT-x is disabled by default in the BIOS, and it's not a changeable option. I'm pretty sure my T9300 is capable, but not positive on the chipset.

Then i found this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/m...d=14879#M12068
    It's entitled "Does the Y series have a crippled BIOS?"

And this post: http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/m...d=14879#M12353
    In this post, a guy explains how to fix the problem on a Lenovo 3000 V100, by changing a flag on a BIOS table and writing it to NVRAM. It also has two links to two different apps that will check if VT-x is enabled. One involved booting a CD, the other one i didn't look at.

My questions are... can we figure out how to do this on our Y series models? Is it worth the trouble? ... and does anyone else care enough to try it?
    Well, the snapshots are smaller. I would guess/hope there done 'log-structured file systems' style only backing up files that have changed.

Ya, it has VT
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAQG

My laptop had a T5550 which doesn't have VT-x so no option in the BIOS for it. Would be better to have it. My new laptop has the VT-x option in the BIOS.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; July 14th, 2009 at 04:24 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Has anyone figured out how to get the microphone working on their Y510, and if so can you post step-by-step instructions or point me to ones that already exist? My sound is working beautifully. I just need my microphone to work.

Thanks!
    Last edited by vonmars; July 19th, 2009 at 07:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vonmars View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to get the microphone working on their Y510, and if so can you post step-by-step instructions or point me to ones that already exist? My sound is working beautifully. I just need my microphone to work.

Thanks!
    you need to open the ALSAmixer and find where it has the mic options. You need to set both mic's to "Front mic".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    you need to open the ALSAmixer and find where it has the mic options. You need to set both mic's to "Front mic".
    I have tried just about every combination I can imagine in the Alsa mixer. I have three sliders relating to microphone. Plain old microphone, front microphone and mic boost. Microphone seems to do nothing. I have it set to front mic. When I raise the mic boost slider it produces some pretty irritating feedback, but when I test the audio recording the mic is still not working. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by vonmars; July 20th, 2009 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have tried just about every combination I can imagine in the Alsa mixer. I have three sliders relating to microphone. Plain old microphone, front microphone and mic boost. Microphone seems to do nothing. I have it set to front mic. When I raise the mic boost slider it produces some pretty irritating feedback, but when I test the audio recording the mic is still not working. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help.
    Sorry I should have been more specific.

It is not a slider that needs changing though ya unmute it and stuff I guess. No need to have Mic Boost all the way up or anything. Just Mic and Front Mic.

What needs to be changed to Front Mic is in another 'tab' in the Gnome GUI ALSAmiser. It will give you two dropdown list to select mic , front mic or mic boost.

If you open a terninal and run...

Code:
    alsamixer
    it will open up a terminal GUI app. In there you hit the tab button and look at the top left it has...

Card: balbal
    Chip: blabla
    View: Playback Capture All
    Item: blabla

When you hit tab it will change the "View" option. Ether tab until it is on "ALL" or "Capture".

Then use the arrow keys to move over to the "input" one and use the UP,Down arrow to set them to "Front Mic".

After you have the "Input" set to "Front mic" in the ALSAmixer. You only need to mess around with the setting in the application to get it to work.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; July 21st, 2009 at 06:00 AM.

Beans

Thanks.

I will give this a try tonight!

Beans

Thanks.

I will give this a try tonight!
    It worked!! You Rule! My Y510 is fully functional. WOO HOO!!!!

Beans
    Distro

It worked!! You Rule! My Y510 is fully functional. WOO HOO!!!!
    That is fantastic

Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast