Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Quote Originally Posted by Benalene View Post
    I am having the same problem in Arch Linux, just fyi. I have tried lenovo-sky, 6stack, 6stack-dell, and with all three, I get all surround sound options in alsamixer, but no sound. If I don't specify any model, I get really crappy sound.
    Well, that's bad news. Good to know, though, so thanks for letting us all know. That would tend to point toward the kernel itself, I'd think -- unrelated to Ubuntu's customized kernels. UGH.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

Well, it's been over a month, so I thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has found any resolution or workaround. Anyone? Anyone? I seriously love this laptop but the lack of Linux support for it definitely stinks!

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've been very busy over the last month, so the only thing I've done to test this further is to install LMDE on my Y530 and see if the speakers work properly in it. They don't. If they don't work in Debian or Arch, I'd bet that any distro with a recent kernel will have this regression.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans

Hello guys! My keyboard is broken, and i want to transfer the Fn key on another key!
    Please, run xev in a terminal emulator, and press Fn, and copy the output here. Thank you

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ktullanux View Post
    Hello guys! My keyboard is broken, and i want to transfer the Fn key on another key!
    Please, run xev in a terminal emulator, and press Fn, and copy the output here. Thank you
    If no one has done this by the time I get home from work tonight, I'll be happy to do this for you! I'll check back from home (where my laptop is) and if no one else has done this already, I'll let you know the output.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ktullanux View Post
    Okay, I did that and it didn't return anything at all. I tried a bunch of other keys and the Fn key was the only one that literally did nothing at all. Sorry. Let me know if you want me to try anything else!

/Kevin

Beans

ok, i think i need some help, i am new to linux, i just installed ubuntu 10.10 for the first time yesterday, had some issues with the dual boot, but i got that figured out with some help. so now i'm trying to get the sound working, i had sound, but it wasnt very good sound, only two speakers and no subwoofer, the microphones are not recognized either. the speakers did turn off when headphones are plugged tho.

i found this thread and decided to follow the instructions in post 2. first thing, when i entered

sudo aptitude install build-essential libncurses-dev gettext linux-headers-`uname -r`

i got "sudo: aptitude: command not found" but i continued (not sure if it was good idea to continue, but i did anyways), i downloaded the most recent alsa driver lib and utils files (1.0.24) and put them on the desktop as suggested. everything seemed to go well until i installed the utils file, and type "sudo ./configure" it runs through some text and at the end the last line says "configure: error: required curses helper header not found" and sudo make and sudo make install dont work.

now i have no sound and i dont know what to do... can you guys help me out?

thanks, kyle.

Beans
    Distro

Any Y530 users tried the 11.04 (Natty) beta yet? Does it fix our sound issues? I'm doubtful, but I'll be trying soon. Whether it helps or not, I'll still be upgrading, but I'm curious if anyone else has tried and what their experience has been. I SO miss having surround sound -- and loud sound, period -- working.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm surprised that there are users still having problems with sound on Y530. I have Y530 and there are no any sound problems at all. You just need to tweak config file of alsa and all sound devices including subwoofer work perfectly. Two years ago you also had to recompile alsa-driver and utils, but with new versions of thesese tools in ppa you don't have to. Unfortunately my notebook is to with me right now, so I can't tell what is the config param exaxtly but I found it in this thread so try to read from the beginning.

One more thing. My Y530 is broken - display hinge breaked down in metal crumbs though it just 2 years old. But all electronic parts still work. So be careful with it.

p.s. I've bought Dell Vostro V130 and kubuntu runs smoothly on it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mylh View Post
    I'm surprised that there are users still having problems with sound on Y530. I have Y530 and there are no any sound problems at all. You just need to tweak config file of alsa and all sound devices including subwoofer work perfectly. Two years ago you also had to recompile alsa-driver and utils, but with new versions of thesese tools in ppa you don't have to. Unfortunately my notebook is to with me right now, so I can't tell what is the config param exaxtly but I found it in this thread so try to read from the beginning.
    I've read this thread top to bottom and have been subscribed to it since I got this laptop well over a year ago. I had the sound fixed at one point but newer kernels broke it. I am not the only one having issues still.

If you have a fix, please share! I'm not the only one who would benefit from this and be extremely grateful.

Where I (and others) stand is this: with any recent kernel in Ubuntu 10.10, we only get two-channel audio and it is very quiet even with all volume controls maxed out. If we put any of the parameters into the alsa file (lenovo-sky, etc.), we lose ALL audio completely.

/Kevin

Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast