Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Quote Originally Posted by gauravmohile View Post
    Switched back to 2.6.32 kernel and audio works fine again.
    I don't have time to try this right now (busy churning out several projects and can't be futzing with my system), but people might try installing the latest mainline kernel instead of the default one:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

This resolved audio issues for me on this machine back when I was using Karmic, since some mod that was in the default kernel was causing the problem then.
    ~~~
    I liked this old blog post by Aysiu: The Linux community's mixed messages

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    I don't have time to try this right now (busy churning out several projects and can't be futzing with my system), but people might try installing the latest mainline kernel instead of the default one:
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

This resolved audio issues for me on this machine back when I was using Karmic, since some mod that was in the default kernel was causing the problem then.
    I installed the latest one, which as of this writing is 2.6.37-rc2. No difference. No sound options in alsa-conf equals very low volume from two speakers; changing it to either lenovo-sky or 6stack-dell means seeing the 5.1 configuration but having no sound at all.

Highly frustrating. I really don't want to switch distros -- and I mean I really, REALLY don't want to -- but this sound issue is recurring and very frustrating.

Anyone else found any solutions?

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

No one has gotten this to work? Gah, it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know if Linux Mint 10 has the same issue? Presumably it's kernel-related, but when I had this same issue with a previous version of Ubuntu, Mint wasn't affected. Any ideas? (If not, I guess I'll give it a try and report back.)

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Does anyone know if Linux Mint 10 has the same issue? Presumably it's kernel-related, but when I had this same issue with a previous version of Ubuntu, Mint wasn't affected. Any ideas? (If not, I guess I'll give it a try and report back.)
    Don't bother. Mint 10 has the same issue. I'm running that on my Y530 now and it behaves exactly the same.
    ~~~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michaelzap View Post
    Don't bother. Mint 10 has the same issue. I'm running that on my Y530 now and it behaves exactly the same.
    Dang. Well, thanks for saving me from wasting a lot of time! I just can't believe this is so difficult. I guess the issue is that it doesn't really affect that many people (in the grand scheme of things), so no one really cares.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

Dang. Well, thanks for saving me from wasting a lot of time! I just can't believe this is so difficult. I guess the issue is that it doesn't really affect that many people (in the grand scheme of things), so no one really cares.
    It is kind of frustrating. I've always had trouble with Linux on this laptop (first the Intel video, then the surround audio, and I still can't put it to sleep or hibernate it). It doesn't seem to be particularly unique or outdated hardware, so I really don't understand why the new kernels can't deal with it.
    ~~~

Beans
    Distro

Alright, just ended up installing the 2.6.33.7 kernel, which is apparently the most current kernel that doesn't break our sound.

The kernel is here: http://bit.ly/gM1WaC

In my case, for 64-bit Ubuntu, I downloaded both of the files whose names end with "amd64.deb" along with the headers file that ends with "all.deb" (not the source one) into a single folder. Then, from the terminal, I did a dpkg -iG *.deb from within that folder to install all three .deb files. Rebooted and selected the kernel from the list, and now I have full sound again.

Pretty sad that I had to do this, but I guess now I'll just hope that a future kernel re-fixes the issue.

/Kevin

Beans
    Distro

Pretty sad that I had to do this, but I guess now I'll just hope that a future kernel re-fixes the issue.
    Good to know where to find that, but I don't need surround sound so much that I'd downgrade the kernel to get it. That's a mainline kernel, so it might actually be a mod to the later kernels (not the kernel itself) that caused the issue. That would be a hopeful sign (I think), and might mean that Debian with the current kernel doesn't have this issue.
    ~~~

Beans

I am having the same problem in Arch Linux, just fyi. I have tried lenovo-sky, 6stack, 6stack-dell, and with all three, I get all surround sound options in alsamixer, but no sound. If I don't specify any model, I get really crappy sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Be sure to check in alsamixer that your sound shanels are unmuted.

Page 61 of 64 FirstFirst ... 11515960616263 ... LastLast