Page 53 of 64 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Thanks to Wyth for the great info. I've now moved to 2.6.30 as well.

For anyone else with a Y710 (am i the only one out there?) or with an ATI Radeon HD2600, if you're going to try this you should download the newest ATI drivers before you switch. 9.7 won't work on 2.6.30, so having 9.8 downloaded and ready to install once you boot into 2.6.30 will make for a smoother transition.

Wyth was totally right, though. Ethernet / wireless is much faster with IPv6 disabled. I can't seem to kill it when booting with LILO though - it seems that kernel command switches are handled differently (or not at all?)

I notice I still can't hibernate, because I'm now back to my vanilla DSDT. After mucking around with it, i found this thread:
    Custom DSDT patch removed since 2.6.30

I'd like to try out onemyndseye's suggestions for the media buttons, but acpi_listen isn't returning anything when i press them, so I'm thinking I best get the fixed DSDT working first...

If I can get that going, I'd like to use the dolby button to toggle all of my speakers on / off, because they still don't mute when I plug in headphones, and there are times where i want external speakers + laptop speakers all going at once. Lol, is this a silly idea? Did you guys find a simpler way?
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by chargersfan420 View Post
    Thanks to Wyth for the great info. I've now moved to 2.6.30 as well.

For anyone else with a Y710 (am i the only one out there?) or with an ATI Radeon HD2600, if you're going to try this you should download the newest ATI drivers before you switch. 9.7 won't work on 2.6.30, so having 9.8 downloaded and ready to install once you boot into 2.6.30 will make for a smoother transition.

Wyth was totally right, though. Ethernet / wireless is much faster with IPv6 disabled. I can't seem to kill it when booting with LILO though - it seems that kernel command switches are handled differently (or not at all?)

I notice I still can't hibernate, because I'm now back to my vanilla DSDT. After mucking around with it, i found this thread:
    Custom DSDT patch removed since 2.6.30

I'd like to try out onemyndseye's suggestions for the media buttons, but acpi_listen isn't returning anything when i press them, so I'm thinking I best get the fixed DSDT working first...

If I can get that going, I'd like to use the dolby button to toggle all of my speakers on / off, because they still don't mute when I plug in headphones, and there are times where i want external speakers + laptop speakers all going at once. Lol, is this a silly idea? Did you guys find a simpler way?
    Boy I am glad that DSDT Kernel Patch was still in when I needed it. Sucks that it's excluded and may not work at all anymore.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

Well,

Im still poking around abit with this... Looks like the needed tables are either in FADT or XSDT but Im having trouble making sense of it. On a positive note, if this could be made to work it could be coupled with the great pulse HOWTO thread Here to actually provide EQ presets as in Vista
    Last edited by onemyndseye; September 1st, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by onemyndseye View Post
    Well,

Im still poking around abit with this... Looks like the needed tables are either in FADT or XSDT but Im having trouble making sense of it. On a positive note, if this could be made to work it could be coupled with the great pulse HOWTO thread Here to actually provide EQ presets as in Vista
    A HUGE HUGE HUGE thank you to onmyndseye for this last post. After reading up on the link you provided, I decided to give PulseAudio another try, which led me to try once again to accomplishing something I've always dreamed of and wasted time on for years: running MediaMonkey in wine. For once I finally have it working!

(for those not familiar with MediaMonkey, it's only the best media program ever, IMHO)

Anyway, I went a step further and found an Amarok script that successfully made use of my Play/Pause, Stop, Previous, Next buttons with Amarok, so i tweaked it a little bit to launch a small console app in Wine that would manipulate MediaMonkey. The script looks useful enough to make these buttons do whatever you want them to, if you're up to hacking it.
    Original Amarok script was found here.
    My hacked version is attached. All the credit in the world to Chris Brown for creating the script, but no fault of his if my hacked copy doesn't work for you. I mostly just took out Amarok-related stuff, because I don't know anything about python.

In the middle of the file, you'll see this:
    Code:
    for mmk in mmkeys:
            	if mmk == "Play":
    			print "playPause"
    			os.system("wine 'C:\mmscripts\mmh.exe' /playpause")
    		elif mmk == "Pause":
    			print "pause"
    			os.system("wine 'C:\mmscripts\mmh.exe' /playpause")
    		elif mmk == "Stop":
    			print "stop"
    			os.system("wine 'C:\mmscripts\mmh.exe' /stop")
    		elif mmk == "Next":
    			print "next track"
    			os.system("wine 'C:\mmscripts\mmh.exe' /next")
    		elif mmk == "Previous":
    			print "previous track"
    			os.system("wine 'C:\mmscripts\mmh.exe' /prev")
    Just replace the contents of the quotes to launch the command of your choice. The Amarok script used dcop to pass a command to Amarok. If you want to use MediaMonkey with wine like I am, you'll also need the Windows script i made (mmh.exe). I'll post it if anyone asks for it, but it's not the most polished script I've ever written.

I also tried to put "print mmk" just after the For statement, but it wouldn't print any additional output for the other buttons. So far we have 5 working (including mute), and 7 more to go.

I also noticed that when using the command "xev", i can return output on all of the working buttons so far, but it reports the same thing with all of them:
    Code:
    FocusOut event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
        mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x3800001,
        mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
        keys:  2   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   
               0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0
    System - Preferences - Keyboard Shortcuts allows you to set these hotkeys, which is how the script recognizes them, but careful, because i can't seem to put one back that i accidentally took out. You'll notice there's a lot of XF86 stuff in here?

My next thought is using a program like KeyTouch, we might be able to specify a compatibility with a different keyboard, something in the XF86 spec, and perhaps more buttons might be recognized...?

EDIT: Attached mmh.exe (in mmh.zip) for Mediamonkey / Wine users. More details on how to use it can be found here:
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/vie...221247#p221247
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by chargersfan420; September 8th, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
    | Alienware M17x-R2 | Go Chargers! |

Beans

Yeah... same issue here. The Dolby button and all EQ buttons report the same event :/ Only the novo button and the quick launch key are completely dead...

Keytouch didnt work at all for me.. couldnt get anything out of it although it is possible to create a keyboard file for it.

Even if you did get it to work it basicially just listens to the acpi calls so you would still be stuck with 6 buttons that all do the same thing... unless we can find a way to update the acpi tables... still digging for info on this but its slow going.

does MediaMonkey support DAAP? (Itunes shares). I have a Open-DAAP server running on my MythTV machine at home that I connect to with rhythmbox to access my music.. This coupled with OpenVPN means I have instant access to my MP3s (120gig worth) from anywhere in the world with a internet connection.. sooooooooo damn nice

Its interesting that xev is showing an event for you.. mine doesnt for ANY of the soft touch keys... though the media controls work perfectly lol
    Last edited by onemyndseye; September 9th, 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Beans

I like this too (messing with acpi events):

I prefere for my audio to be turned off when I close the lid.. speakers too muffled by the lid anyway so Id rather have it mute.. if the lid is close my attention is not on it.. and it saves power on battery mode...

/etc/acpi/events/lenovo-extra-lidbtn
    Code:
    # /etc/acpi/events/lidbtn
    # Extra event called when the user closes or opens the lid for lenovo laptops to
    # mute/unmute the sound

event=button[ /]lid
    action=/etc/acpi/lenovo-extra-lid.sh

/etc/acpi/lenovo-extra-lid.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # Script to handle ACPI lid close to mute sound
    #

# Source in ACPI functions
    . /etc/default/acpi-support
    . /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs

getXconsole;
    if [ x"$XAUTHORITY" != x"" ]; then
      VALUE="$(amixer cget $(amixer controls |grep "Master" |grep "Switch" |sed '{s|,| |g}'|awk '{print $1}') |egrep -v "type|name" |sed '{s|values=|| ; s| : ||$
      if [ "$VALUE" = "on" ]; then
        amixer cset $(amixer controls |grep "Master" |grep "Switch" |sed '{s|,| |g}'|awk '{print $1}') 0
      else
        amixer cset $(amixer controls |grep "Master" |grep "Switch" |sed '{s|,| |g}'|awk '{print $1}') 1
      fi
    fi

Same script should work on nearly any laptop that has a correctly working lid switch and a Master Playback toggle switch in alsa controls... everyone wont like this but I thought Id share.
    Last edited by onemyndseye; September 9th, 2009 at 10:23 AM.

Beans

Hey guys, so my old 65 watt y510 power cord died so I am thinking of buying a new one from lenovo, this one is 90 watts though. Will the higher watts kill my computer, or is it safe?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JSuresh View Post
    Hey guys, so my old 65 watt y510 power cord died so I am thinking of buying a new one from lenovo, this one is 90 watts though. Will the higher watts kill my computer, or is it safe?
    It is safe, since your computer will only consume the power it needs, i.e. your power supply can't make your computer consume more power than it needs and kill it. 90 watts is just the maximum your power supply can give to your computer, and if you try to get more it may die, but less is ok.

To give you an idea, when you use your Y510 normally, without charging the battery, it consumes 25 to 35 watts, but when the battery is charging, it may consume up to 65 watts.

So there is not any problem about using a 90 watts power supply, but it may be bigger and more expensive.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 8.10 - 32 bits | 1.6 GHz Pentium dual T2330 | 2 Go RAM | Nvidia 8400M GS | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Just a note:

My power cord recently died as well. I had a back-up targus one with multiple connectors from way back -- it works fine and it's less expensive.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

How do I get my microphone to work with programs in ubuntu 9.04. I know the front mic is working b/c when I turn it on I can hear noise, and myself speaking. However, sound recorder and skype can't actually use the mic ...

So how do I set it up?

Here is my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

# autoloader aliases
    install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-0
    install sound-slot-1 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-1
    install sound-slot-2 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-2
    install sound-slot-3 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-3
    install sound-slot-4 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-4
    install sound-slot-5 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-5
    install sound-slot-6 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-6
    install sound-slot-7 /sbin/modprobe snd-card-7

# Cause optional modules to be loaded above generic modules
    install snd /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-ioctl32 ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }
    #
    # Workaround at bug #499695 (reverted in Ubuntu see LP #319505)
    install snd-pcm /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-pcm $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-pcm-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-mixer /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-mixer $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-mixer-oss ; : ; }
    install snd-seq /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-seq $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-oss ; : ; }
    #
    install snd-rawmidi /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-rawmidi $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq-midi ; : ; }
    # Cause optional modules to be loaded above sound card driver modules
    install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-emu10k1-synth ; }
    install snd-via82xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-via82xx $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist snd-seq ; }

# Load saa7134-alsa instead of saa7134 (which gets dragged in by it anyway)
    install saa7134 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install saa7134 $CMDLINE_OPTS && { /sbin/modprobe --quiet --use-blacklist saa7134-alsa ; : ; }
    # Prevent abnormal drivers from grabbing index 0
    options bt87x index=-2
    options cx88_alsa index=-2
    options saa7134-alsa index=-2
    options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
    options snd-intel8x0m index=-2
    options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
    options snd-usb-audio index=-2
    options snd-usb-us122l index=-2
    options snd-usb-usx2y index=-2
    options snd-usb-caiaq index=-2
    # Ubuntu #62691, enable MPU for snd-cmipci