Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    WTF!!!!

I just got an email from Dell saying my new 2100n has been delayed to ship on the 1st of July... It was supposed to come in ion the 24th... Effing rediculas... I've already been waiting like 3 weeks... UGH!
    That was my fear about buying form Dell.
    When I order something I want it now. I'll pay what ever it takes to get it fast. I'd be going nuts if I had to wait for my new laptop.

Sorry to hear but hay lets just hope it is spotless and everything works
    If you call and complain they will give you free stuff. The same thing happed to a friend of mine and they gave her a really nice laptop case for free. Just keep on the phone and don't let them hang up on you until you they offer you something.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; June 23rd, 2009 at 07:08 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Smile Hdmi

Hi all!

Yesterday I sucessfully connected my Y530 to my HD TV through HDMI. I got 2 modes in what a laptop can connect to TV
    1) When I get a copy of what I see on th laptop screen
    2) When only TV works
    The only issue is that desktop on TV screen was cropped though I was able to scroll it with mouse.

So are there any ideas of how to configure TV as a second independent display and to specify 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: Hdmi

Quote Originally Posted by mylh View Post
    Hi all!

Yesterday I sucessfully connected my Y530 to my HD TV through HDMI. I got 2 modes in what a laptop can connect to TV
    2) When only TV works
    The only issue is that desktop on TV screen was cropped though I was able to scroll it with mouse.

So are there any ideas of how to configure TV as a second independent display and to specify 1920 x 1080 resolution?

Lol its about time we got back too lenovo and the y510.

I'm assuming your running 8.10? 9.04? If you haven't already, install compiz and enable desktop effects. Open up your compiz control panel and there should be a tab for dual monitors. Are you trying to get identical screens? Or an extended desktop? and whats the brand of tv?
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Hdmi

Quote Originally Posted by mylh View Post
    Hi all!

2) When only TV works

PhilMize is right. I know the ATI Catalyst Control Center has a duel monitor setup and I bet nVidia blob dose too.

The sure fire way to get what ever settings you like (i.e. extended monitor, or have one resolution setting for your laptop and a difrent setup for the TV) can be done by specifying what you like in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. If you google for "duel Monitor" "xorg.conf" I am sure you will find some to copy. Also, reading through the Archlinux and Gentoo WiKi's on setting up Xserver will help you out too.

How to set up xorg.conf
    http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg.conf
    Last edited by HunterThomson; June 24th, 2009 at 04:21 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you, guys I'll try your solutions though actually I don't like the idea of installing compiz - regular KDE is enough for me in terms of visual effects.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    I have a script that installs ALSA 1.0.17 http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=820959

If you folks find a certain model= keyword works better than others, let me know so I can add it to the list (in the thread linked above).
    Not sure if you got the answer already..
    model=6stack-dell works with alsa right out of the box. The headphones work and mute the speakers and 5.1 works.

Got it from here: http://techspalace.blogspot.com/2009...in-ubuntu.html

My mic still doesn't work with skype
    If anyone can get it working too, then lenovo y530(y510) has really no reason for me to switch to windows.

Also what is the status of suspend/hibernate? Doesn't work for me

Cheers,
    Arun
    Last edited by akarun; June 24th, 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Forgot to add more details

Beans
    Distro

I got my mic working Skype on my Y510

If I remember correctly, ((I mean I know what I am about to tell you is correct but there may have been a setting in Skype that I had to change too)) You have to change both mic's in ALSAminxer to "Front Mic" don't have it set to the default "Mic".

So do that, set the alsamixer to "Front Mic" and then try all the Skype mic settings one by one.

Also, I just had a problem after upgrading to the new 2.6.30-ARCH kernel in Archlinux. I had to run this command a root to fix it.

>Enter root
    Code:
    su -
    >Then close all apps and stop the alsa deamon
    Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/alsa stop
    <<((I mite be wrong about the location of the daemon in Ubuntu))>>

>Then run this configuration application

Code:
    alsaconf
    I just chose all the defaults.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

sooo... Dell delayed it again... this time to the 9th...ugh
    HP Mini 110 - UNR 9.10/Jolicloud Alpha Tester
    Lenovo Y510 - Windows 7/Linux Mint Gloria
    www.pcmuze.com - Blog
    www.Clevermodels.net - High Res Paper Models.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PhilMize View Post
    sooo... Dell delayed it again... this time to the 9th...ugh
    I'd call and get some free stuff that is crazy !

Beans

Has anyone gotten sound to work correctly with an Ideapad Y430? I have tried following all the instructions (newer alsa, different models, etc) given here and in the older thread but when I plug in my headphone, the front speakers get muted, but not the subwoofer. Also, my audio properties dialog only shows Master, PCM, Docking Mic, External Mic, and Internal Mic for Playback. I do NOT see LFE, Center and all those options that other members have mentioned.

Ideapad Y430 has the following soundcard:
    ==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#1 <==
    Codec: Nvidia ID 3

==> /proc/asound/card0/codec#2 <==
    Codec: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

Alsa, altough the subwoofer "works," it works like another speaker and does not provide bass sound. Everything else works on this laptop (haven't tested SD/MMC/etc, HDMI, Modem, firewire)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by josesilva; June 27th, 2009 at 09:32 PM.

Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast