Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

@chrismulderza

would you be able to look at the DSDT for the Y530? The brightness controls are reversed on this laptop as well, but everything else works great.

webcam, wireless, sound, battery monitor, flash card reader, function keys, and soft keys work great.

thanks for all your efforts on this topic. It has been very enlightening to read this post and the tech involved in making all this stuff work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrismulderza View Post
    Good News Everyone!

I have a correctly working backlight on my Ideapad Y510! ...

This has been achieved by using a custom DSDT, and nothing else, no fiddling with ACPI or HAL or anything like that.

After days of trawling and scrolling through the original DSDT I finally figured out that the Lenovo emedded controller seems to be expecting some specific input values, and that there seemed to be a slight mistake in the "Package" of values returned by the _BCL AML method. Additionally ACPI as bundled with Ubuntu and the Kernel at the moment, expects the values to be in the correct order, i.e. <value when on AC>, <value when on Battery>, val0, val1, val2 ...etc the most important thing to note is that ACPI at the moment does not appear to sort the values, and assumes that they are from lowest to highest. In the case of the Ideapad they seem to have been reversed.

I have attached the DSDT.dsl in BZIP2 format to this post for those who want to give this a go.

You will obviously need the Intel ASL compiler:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install iasl
    To compile the DSDT just run:

Code:
    iasl DSDT.dsl
    Once it's compiled put it into the initramfs-tools directory under /etc:

Code:
    sudo cp DSDT.aml /etc/initramfs-tools/
    You might need to install the initramfs-tools package

Code:
    sudo apt-get install initramfs-tools
    and then finally regenerate the initrd image

Code:
    sudo mkinitramfs -o /boot/initrd.img-`uname -r`
    reboot the machine and then give it a go...

Please test this and let me know if anyone is experiencing any other difficulties...

Cheers all!

Is this the solution for reversed brightness?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lun View Post
    Where do you put the dsdt.dsl?

Code:
    nick@schwieterman:~$ iasl DSDT.dsl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
    ASL Optimizing Compiler version 20061109 [May 16 2007]
    Copyright (C) 2000 - 2006 Intel Corporation
    Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Error    4067 - Could not open file "DSDT.dsl" (No such file or directory)
    I have it on my desktop now.

In the terminal, just be sure to cd into the directory you have it (Desktop) before you run the commands. If you're in /home/[YOUR NAME] and tell the machine to run a command on a file that's in a different directory, it'll fuss at you.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans

I regenerated the initrd.img with DSDT.aml and restarted and it broke my install. This is my fault for getting involved with something that i was not completely clear on. I think it failed because i have not yet updated the BIOS. I tried to fix the kernel by booting into the second kernel in grub, but i messed that one up as well.

So now i am running from the live cd and am not too sure what i can do from there. If anyone can tell me how to regenerate initrd.img in my first kernel without DSDT.aml, that would be greatly appreciated.

nick

I tried to update BIOS with the usbbiosflasher from hunterthomson, but i have to be root in order to run it.
    Last edited by lun; December 29th, 2008 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

@lun

I had a similar issue and just put the kernel image back to what came with the default install.

try this:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.27-9-generic

if that isn't your kernel version, just replace it with the one you have installed.

Beans

That would do it, but the problem is is that i cannot boot into that kernel at all to reconfigure it. When i try to boot into it it loads a little bit and then stops. The only access i have to the files on my install is through live cd, and i cannot reconfigure the kernel through there (unless there is something i do not know). I can see everything on my harddrive, but i cannot add or remove from it, nor run root commands to change it (obviously).

I reinstalled.
    Last edited by lun; December 30th, 2008 at 11:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lun View Post
    That would do it, but the problem is is that i cannot boot into that kernel at all to reconfigure it. When i try to boot into it it loads a little bit and then stops. The only access i have to the files on my install is through live cd, and i cannot reconfigure the kernel through there (unless there is something i do not know). I can see everything on my harddrive, but i cannot add or remove from it, nor run root commands to change it (obviously).

I reinstalled.
    Yes you do have to be root to run my script to make the BIOS-USB.

sudo usbbiosflasher

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE QUESTIONS I ASK !!! READ ALL THE STUFF THAT POPS UP. IT TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO. YOU DON'T WANT TO FORMAT YOUR HHD ON ANTECEDENT.

You did not do this if you are getting a messaged that is telling you it didn't find the dsdt.

Code:
    sudo cp DSDT.aml /etc/initramfs-tools/

===========================================
    As for your Kernel.... You know there is a way to do it

I don't know step by step but if you google you could find it.

What you need to do is boot into a Live CD then you can change to the root directory of your harddrive (( chroot maybe)). This way your kernel will be from the Live CD but the root file system will be the one on your harddive. Then you can build a new kernel. Read this in the Debian instructions to "Install from a running Linux OS."

There is also a command to build a new normal Kerenel. Just a copy of the one you have. Then you boot into that and mess with that kernel. If it messed up then you can just boot into your first Kernel you have not changed.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Good fun>>>>

Two days ago, late at night, I wanted to clear my SD card. So I opened the shell and typed

Code:
    DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND

sudo rm -r * /media/disk

DO NOT RUN THIS COMMAND
    As you can see this deleted every file on my computer..... That sucked.
    Fresh install now......

Moral of the story,,,, Respect the Sudo.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thnx to everyone on this thread !! I finally got all the issues fixed , though the webcam upside down prblm still exists , but I don't use the cam much.

Now I am ready to go around and flaunt my Y510 + Hardy combo

thnx
    Source

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post
    Note: If you are using a intel X3100 graficx card and don't want to mess everything up by running Compiz but still want to have the 3D desktop effects when changing desktops youcan use 3ddesktop

Ubuntu
    sudo apget 3ddesktop
    Archlinux
    sudo pacman -S 3ddesktop
    HunterThomson ,are u sure the 3ddesktop pack exists for ubuntu ? I get the msg

E: Couldn't find package 3ddesktop

when I run sudo apt-get install 3ddesktop

I've got compiz on my desktop with Gutsy . Want the same effects on my lappy with Hardy too. But don't want to get messed with the intel x3100 card

thnx
    Source

Page 22 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast