Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

I'm sorry i can't offer expert advice (because I'm no expert), but i have also heard that if you're using LILO, you have to have your / drive installed on a primary...

I'm only using LILO because i'm on a Y710, and the optical drive doesn't work at all with GRUB.

If this doesn't concern you, i think it's fairly straightforward if you have empty space to work with... but if you're resizing, then proceed with caution! The last time i resized a partition, GRUB renamed all of my partitions and Hardy became unbootable.... Granted it may have been repairable, but i had to put Intrepid on a primary for LILO anyway...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

eek, this makes me worried, I have already resized once (which took 4 hours). I'm not sure if I should risk it now.

however the only thing I need to do is snip some space off the end. So it should be fine right?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Never resize or mess with partition table. Tecnecly you can but be prepared to loss it all, For Real.

That said I have done a lot of partitoning. This is what I would do... I'll explain down below>>>

sda1 1GB FAT23
    -----------------------------
    sda2 extended
    -----------------------------
    sda5 10GB /"RooT" Ubuntu......................
    sda6 10GB /"RooT" Archlinux...................
    sda7 10GB /"RooT" FreeBSD.....................
    sda8 5GB /home Ubuntu .....................
    sda9 5GB /home Archlinux................... All ext3... swap is swap
    sda10 5GB /usr FreeBSD.....................
    sda11 2GB /var Ubuntu......................
    sda12 2GB /var Archlinux...................
    sda13 2GB /var FreeBSD.....................
    sda14 3GB SWAP..................................
    sda15 198GB-------ext3----Files-&-Midia............

Install Archlinux first. And don't install grub. This way the Ubuntu installer should find Arch.

Then install Ubuntu and make sure Grub is installing to the MBR. I think it dose automatically. Ubuntu should find Archlinux and add it to the Grub menu. But you mite have to do it with a text editor.

USE Archlinux it is the best and BSD would be cool to have
    Last edited by HunterThomson; November 21st, 2008 at 08:47 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for!! I should have some time to do it this weekend!

one question though, how are BSD's in comparision to arch or ubuntu? like preformance, complexity and support?

I have always been a little scared to take the plung into BSD's and Arch was a challege, but fun so I was just wondering if it is worth it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

please delete this message; it is obsolete (all problems were fixed after restarting x)
    Last edited by Gruu; November 23rd, 2008 at 05:46 AM. Reason: fixed all issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Gruu, if you run into any more problems with your wireless, make sure you don't have any backports installed, and try the 2.6.27-7-generic kernel.

The 2.6.27-8-generic was causing my machine to kernel panic into a hard freeze. Apparently this is due to the wireless, and backports is supposed to take care of that, but the backports right now breaks the wireless (at least on my machine). You can install them, but no networks will show, and you can't modprobe the module.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by em4g.3ht View Post
    Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for!! I should have some time to do it this weekend!

one question though, how are BSD's in comparison to arch or ubuntu? like preformance, complexity and support?

I have always been a little scared to take the plung into BSD's and Arch was a challege, but fun so I was just wondering if it is worth it.
    I don't really know a whole lot about BSD but I think I can answer you question to a satisfactory degree. Performance is suppose to be better. The BSD Kernel is suppose to be better then Linux. As for Complexity, I'd say it is just like any other Unix copy like Linux or MacOS. BSD uses .rc files to control everything that happens at startup i.e. daemons, modules....That makes BSD way simpler to control. Archlinux uses the .rc stuff. BSD names the HHD partitions really strange names which seems to cause problems. I read hardware support in BSD is always a step behind Linux.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thanks hunter, I think I will have to check this stuff out for myself

I SOLVED (kinda) the issue with the web cam!

firstly check this thread out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=%2Fvar

*don't install backports kernel, because I herd it can break the wireless, and lead to hard freezes. It didn't for me, but it also didn't solve anything.

if that doesn't get you up and running, and you have a lenovo y510 here's what I did:

firstly if you have cheese insalled uninstall it: sudo apt-get remove cheese

then clean apt cache: sudo apt-get clean

then re-install cheese: sudo apt-get install cheese

open cheese (here's where it never worked for me, always froze) it should detect your camera after linuxdragons instructions, now go to preferences and change the resolution to 960x720. Now make sure to shut off your camera before exiting cheese (Fn+esc). After exiting you can turn you camera back on and go back into cheese, and you should see yourself. Make sure to turn you camera off BEFORE closing cheese each time (also remeber to turn it on before entering cheese )

you also have to exit everytime you want to change an effect or cheese will freeze. Probably best to shut your camera off before changing effect.

*I have no idea why this works, and I am sure there is someone out there that knows a better way, but if you have the urge to impress your friends with awesome webcam pics, this should work until someone better and/or smarter solves this bug.

by the way, ekiga softphone worked with no tinkering after fallow linuxdragon's instructions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay, I've been messing around, and I think i have got more specifics on some of my difficulties...

@ em4g.3ht - I tried your webcam "fix" on my Y710, and it worked the way you describe, which is better than nothing at all...
    @ everyone - however, the choppy visualization problems i spoke of earlier (in totem) seem to also be affecting Cheese. I'm guessing this isn't a codec problem anymore... But still no idea where to look.

I have also found that the skips every 5 seconds in any Virtualbox - XP media players isn't limited to media players at all. Virtualbox itself skips every 5 seconds... it used to be that the virtualbox process would eat one of my two cpu's all the time, and then drop down to 10 percent usage for one second (exactly every 5 seconds)... I just installed the latest version (2.0.6, xVM), which appeared to come out yesterday. I have also upgraded my guest additions (which i notice some strange things happen if you don't update your guest additions when you install a new version of virtualbox). The skipping doesn't start right away anymore, but is unstoppable when it does... it also no longer eats 100% of one cpu when operating normally..

I have also tried purging PulseAudio, as per Wyth's instructions, which didn't help at all. Yesterday i found generic instructions to configure PulseAudio here, which also explains why it is a good idea to have PulseAudio - for example, Wyth, if you've still got it purged, can you play sound from two different applications at the same time?

Since configuring PulseAudio and reinstalling Virtualbox more than once, i notice my virtualbox skips have occurred less frequently, but i still don't know why. If it keeps up, i'm going to create a brand new virtual machine - maybe since i started this one on 1.5.6, that's why it's buggy...

The webcam still won't work in XP - it still recognizes when i "plug it in" to the VM, but it still continues to say that the device is in use. I notice it takes a minute to initialize with Cheese after following em4g.3ht's instructions... perhaps XP is too impatient?

Cheese doesn't give me the option to use 960x720 resolution. I put it on 640x480, which sadly is the closest thing.

I also have a brand new Y710 here that i'm installing Ubuntu on for a coworker...
    - There seems to be no problem with virtualbox so far.
    - Just finished with the webcam instructions. It's working, but it also is having the visualization choppiness problem - cheese and totem. Can't explain why, but the choppiness is far less of a problem to this machine... but it still does weird things, like show the visualization on top of active windows, or not moving it when i relocate the window...

Sorry if i sound like i'm rambling... i just want this damn thing to work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Update:

I ditched the proprietary video driver that seems to be the only (easy) way to get 3D effects working on a fresh install.
    System - Administration - Hardware Drivers -- deactivate proprietary driver

And then, i went to this website:
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML
    and i grabbed the correct driver for my video card. I don't know about you Y510 people, but my Y710 has an ATI Radeon HD 2600. There is also a link to a PDF with instructions on that page. Remember to run that last command line in terminal when you're finished with the GUI and before you reboot!

I'm happy to say that the graphics / 3D acceleration looks much better than it did with the initial proprietary driver. I haven't encountered any choppiness when using compiz effects, which happened occasionally before. It also installed a Linux version of Catalyst Control Center, which is full of some very nice advanced graphics options...

... unfortunately, it didn't solve the visualization problem. Since then I reinstalled cheese and still no joy! Are there any other Y710 users out there that are having visualization problems in Totem & Cheese and possibly others, or is it just me?

Perhaps i should try more programs that use some sort of visualization...?

Page 19 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast