Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

VirtualBox update

So a kernel update later and my VirtualBox-ose version broke.

However, I found this -- there is a repository with a key for the Sun version.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

And it works fine.

EDIT

ProductiveLinux has this post about getting USB support in VirtualBox under Ibex, and there's also this thread:

Code:
    #Make USB Work in Sun VirtualBox
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=46,devmode=664 0 0
    Remounting didn't do it for me, but I found I was no longer part of the vboxusers group -- be sure you're part of that.
    Last edited by wyth; November 9th, 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Hmm, it appears my sound issues aren't over yet.

Audio works when i have Autodetect in Sound Preferences (after a reboot only, and it even makes the Ubuntu startup sounds choppy), and when i select ALSA (although when i press the Test button, the first second is a skip). No other options here give me sound.

With ALSA selected, Totem sometimes plays music, and sometimes claims to be playing but no sound comes out. With Autodetect, Totem plays sound normally. With either option, the visualization is horribly choppy, and makes a strobe light effect. Repositioning the window doesn't move the visualization pane for a couple of seconds, and the visualization pane will overlap other windows, even if they are on top of Totem.

Any media player i use in VirtualBox (WinXP) will cause the sound to skip exactly every 5 seconds. This also includes using flash to watch youtube videos. I've tried all of the sound options for VirtualBox and they all give the same result.

I have also recompiled ALSA a few times by following Wyth's instructions (post 146), which i realize is not the exact same model...

EDIT: Also tried switching model back to lenovo-sky but it didn't make any difference.

It seems to me that I must be missing a package, or a package is malfunctioning, or maybe there's a couple of conflicting ones... All i know for sure is that I have no idea what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

chargersfan, in the terminal try
    Code:
    alsamixer -Dhw
    and tell us what card and chip it's using (it'll say at the top). Since you have a different model, you may have some different specs.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the quick reply, Wyth.

It says:
    Card: HDA Intel
    Chip: Realtek ALC888

I believe you had the same listed in your instructions.

:~$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
    Codec: Realtek ALC888
    Codec: Motorola Si3054

The post before your instructions, you said this:
    "I installed linux-headers-lbm, linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic, medibuntu, ubuntu-restricted-extras, all that."
    Is it possible I'm missing one of these common modules... perhaps not one of the 4 mentioned?
    Oh, and i couldn't find medibuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, those are the same specs I have. But here's a couple things that may help:

The latest kernel is 2.6.27-8-generic. I haven't compiled ALSA for that yet, but I ran into an issue with that kernel, NetworkManager, and everything locking up.

One thing I had to do was remove linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic and all its attendent packages. So I purged that, then ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    and cleaned out the unnecessary stuff. That may help, and possibly trying the 2.6.27-7-generic kernel again.

Oh -- to get Medibuntu, you need to add a repository. More info is here. Short version:

Add the following to your sources.list:
    Code:
    deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free #Medibuntu
    deb-src http://packages.medibuntu.org/ intrepid free non-free #Medibuntu
    Then run an apt-get update, which might spit something negative, but you need to do it so you can then run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring
    and then run another update. Then you should have the Medibuntu repository in place.

I wish I knew enough about this stuff, but I'm just not clear on the generic kernel -- is it supposed to automatically choose the best specs for a system, or would we be better off with the 386 kernel, or one of the other many kernels in the repository?

Another thing I wish I knew more about was the difference between all the different brews of Java. My Firefox 3.0.3 is now spiking my cpu up past 90%, and from what understand it has something to do with Java. Only I don't know what to replace.
    Last edited by wyth; November 14th, 2008 at 03:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Good day all,

I have been using the Lenovo Ideapad Y510 since April of this year (2008), and have been following this thread since then. (My Y510 never even started the supplied Vista O.S. ) First of all thanks to wyth and HunterThomson for their relentless testing, and input ... I've recently upgraded to Intrepid (8.10) and had many of the same issues, especially with sound.

I've managed to fix the majority using the vanilla kernel 2.6.27-7-generic, and compiling alsa 1.0.18rc3 drivers. Using the model=lenovo-sky switch in alsa-base in /etc/modprobe.d ..

Anyways so that's my feedback on the laptop.. why I'm actually posting, is to gauge the interest and support from folks here on this forum for a patch to the current alsa-driver-1.0.18rc3 source tree, and if anyone would be interested in helping out with testing?

I'm by no means a regular driver developer, but I've looked through the source code, and think I'll be able to hack through it enough to create a model named "lenovo-y510" that would at least initially map all the volume controls properly..

So if anyone's interested, I've got some free time coming up in a week or so, and will start "hacking away" at the driver sources, hopefully to post a patch on this forum soon! ...

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you get something working, I'd give it a try.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi everyone, I have been reading this forum for a while now, and have just about every issue solved, except for the webcam

I am not the best gnu/linux user but I try

anyway I was wondering, what driver is our y510 webcam using because there is a very extensive driver update for 8.10 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=%2Fvar

-i dunno if this will help anyone or not, I just really want my webcam to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Man, I don't know... I had to remove the backports because it killed NetworkManager in the past two kernels (it wouldn't pick up any wireless, like the kill switch was permanently on). Personally, I don't use my camera nearly as much as I use NetworkManager.

But I have something else to talk about -- stay tuned for the next post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So lately, with kernel 2.6.27-8-generic, I've been getting some hard freezes. There are bugs galore filed out there about this sort of thing; everything freezes up with a nice hard lock, and the wireless and caps lock lights flash. I think this may have something to do with wireless, but I'm not sure, and it doesn't seem like anyone is paying all that much attention to the issue yet, save for those who have the problem.

However, removing everything that has to do with pulseaudio may help if you're having this issue.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils pulseaudio-module-gconf pulseaudio-module-hal pulseaudio-module-x11 gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
    etc. That should get most of it out, but there will be some extra stuff in there; a simple
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    should help with that.

Let me just say that my hard freezes are happening almost exclusively on my university's open network (since the new NetworkManager doesn't work with their secured network anymore). I'm just sayin'...

Page 17 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast