Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Well I tried it again on a fresh reboot and it performed as described:

1 - with "video" module blacklisted it booted up at full brightness and the fn-keys did nothing.

2 - did a "modprobe video" from the root console and fn keys worked 6 levels of brightness in the correct direction.

It could be this action in combination with the 27-odd ideas I tried from this board and others (gotta luv Linux!)...

Prior to this change it seemed that the brightness would work but was being over-ridden by software. Hitting the fn-up would cause the screen to flash bright then go dim, the flash would be the "right" brightness, then it would be immediately changed to the wrong brightness. Somehow this eliminates the 2nd change.

Now I have to find a way to add this to the end of the boot-up routine so it works automatically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by HunterThomson View Post

The internet sound video problem.... Is is a sound problem or a video problem? Or both? If it is just a sound problem there is a program that is in charge of alowing you to paly sound form mutiple sorces at once. I can't recall the name right now. But that program should have been installed by default in Ubuntu....
    if i play first a video that a have on my lap then the sound on youtube wont play, video ok, but if i play youtube first then my videos on laptop wont work, the video nor sound work

if you can help me please, i hate that i can only play onething and having to reboot if i want the other, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Based on HunterThompson's bios flashing script post here, it seems the new bios makes the screen dimming worse. Is this the case? Has anyone tried the new bios?

EDIT

I'm impatient and went ahead and updated my BIOS. So far it started up fine, and I don't really notice anything in particular that's different. The screen dimming is still backwards, it still dims when I start VLC or Avidemux, and I screwed up my camera a while back so I don't know if that's working better or not.

But if anyone is interested in a little more user-friendly way to update the BIOS, this worked for me.

Gear

• gparted live CD or live Ubuntu cd
    • the rom of the bios update
      • You can get this from a Windows installation; the .exe is an archive, and the .rom is inside. You can try cabextract to get the .rom (available in the repositories), or if you have Windows/Virtual Windows installed, you can just run the .exe and nab the .rom that way.

Steps

• Boot into live cd
    • With gparted, create a small partition and format it as fat32
      • If you have a small root partition, this will be easy and not very time consuming

• Boot back into linux
    • Drop the .rom into the fat32 partition
    • Restart
    • Hit F2 to get into the BIOS
    • Go to Advanced and then to the EasyFlash
    • You'll see a C drive -- that's your new fat32 partition, and the .rom will show up
    • Flash away, and reboot into your new BIOS
    • You can boot back into gparted and nix that partition, or just unmount it and keep it from loading at boot if you want. I made mine tiny and keep it around for just these sorts of occasions.
    Last edited by wyth; September 18th, 2008 at 12:48 AM.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

azteca, I replied to your question a page ago, here. See if that helps.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post

I followed the instructions from this link on Tombuntu. Note that the .deb file installs over the same places Flash 9 is, so if you installed Flash via aptitude/synaptic (i.e. normally), then no worries. If you manually installed it, then you'll have to remove that stuff first.
    Hi thanks Wyth for the reply the link you mentioned doesnt work it takes me to write a coment, but i thing the proble could be with the alsa drive dont you, because if i play first the youtube it works but my music wont, but if you send me the link ill sure try it thanks again, and sorry for bugging you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry -- I pasted the wrong link before. It's fixed now, and here's the correct link for Flash 10.

I can't say for certain if you have your alsa set up correctly, but what you're describing is consistent with some errors people were having with Flash 9 -- sound would work one way, but then not on any web site with Flash like YouTube, etc. So trying Flash 10 couldn't hurt, and it may fix your problem. Just be sure to not have libflashsupport installed if you go with 10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by wyth View Post
    So trying Flash 10 couldn't hurt, and it may fix your problem. Just be sure to not have libflashsupport installed if you go with 10.
    Thanks for the reply, ill try the link and upgratin to flash 10, but how can i check if libflashsupport is install, i don't remember installing it my self, but to make sure, if theres a way to check, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you didn't install libflashsupport, you're probably okay (and it's probably why you're having problems now). You can search for it in synaptic -- if it's installed. remove it. If it's not installed, don't worry about it.

For Flash 9, libflashsupport helped take care of a number of sound and crashing issues.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should probably look at the Restricted Formats info and the help page on Multimedia Applications.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey Wyth, thanks for the help, but i check and it wasn't install so i went and got the flash 10 and install it like it said on the link you put but no luck, maybe im doing something wrong? if you can help me please, thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey guys, has anyone else experince the same, only to get one thing working not both at the same time, i still thing its a problem with the audio drivers because video its ok just the audio that wont play, so if anyone had the same problems please tell me have you did it, thanks

Page 13 of 64 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast