Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Y510 is Go (Continued / NEW)

Hum...

Did you open a terminal aka comandline and check out the alamixer in there? That one is strate forword... No click this, then click that, bull. GUI's look cool but they make simle things complicated. (My thoughts on the subject. Use what you want)

The # of chanels ch2/ch4/ch6 is under the Options tab.

With all of that said.... And after you have checked out the alsamixer in the shell.... Your problem would be in the selections of the options in the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file. Check spelling, syntax i.e. do you have a empty line at the end of the configuration file. Is there a "dot" where there should not be.. Is there not one where there should be?(well I guess there are no dot's so that was a bad example)

If all else fails you could also try adding options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-ms7195-dig to the end of this file.

/etc/modprobe.conf
    Then reboot.

You mite want to take the "option" out of the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file before you reboot with the "option" at the end of the /etc/modprobe.conf file.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 9th, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

I checked out the alsamixer in the terminal as well, but I dont see anything new there. The options tab only has two options, both containing to microphones. This is with everything enabled in preferences.

I dont see any typos in the alsa-base file, everything looks correct.

There is no /etc/modprobe.conf ...

Thanks for helping out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecycle View Post
    I checked out the alsamixer in the terminal as well, but I dont see anything new there. The options tab only has two options, both containing to microphones. This is with everything enabled in preferences.

I dont see any typos in the alsa-base file, everything looks correct.

There is no /etc/modprobe.conf ...

Thanks for helping out.
    It must be something little.... Did you install the new alsa stuff yourself? Or did you just add the options to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. If the latter then maybe you need to install new alsa-libs.

This is a software configuration problem not a hardware problem, not bug.

Could you attach a copy of this file..

Code:
    /usr/src/alsa/alsa-driver-1.0.16/alsa-kernel/Documentation/ALSA-Configuration.txt
    If the file is not there then use the locate comad to find it...

Code:
    locate ALSA-Configuration.txt
    Wyth do you have any ideas.
    Last edited by HunterThomson; September 10th, 2008 at 05:27 AM.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans

I installed it myself. Two separate times now.

Should I be using alsa version 1.0.16? I am using 1.0.17 now.

The ALSA-configuration.txt file was too big, so I split it up into 5 parts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is really disappointing.

Lenovo has been building up to sell machines with Suse Linux pre-installed. They've now decided to drop all Linux support.

For the most part, I think the IdeaPads are perfectly situated to become fantastic Linux machines. They're this close to having everything in place; they just need a little tightening up with their hardware specs.

But if they've decided to just head in the opposite direction all together, I think this IdeaPad will be the last Lenovo computer I purchase.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After spending a lot of time on my issues, i've turned to other things, but i still haven't given up.

@ HunterThomson - Thank you very much for the new DSDT. I have tried booting with it, but i don't notice anything different. Is there anything specific i can try to notice a difference?

Still no optical drive - and yes, i have tried with the SATA controller mode set to AHCI instead of Compatibility, also with no difference. I'm thinking a combination of fixes might be required to make this work (such as new DSDT + AHCI (nope), perhaps downgrading to 32-bit + new DSDT + AHCI...?)

I finally got a reply from the Linux guy @ Lenovo (this morning), he says he's been busy but he is still willing to help - will keep you posted.

@ HunterThomson - did you still want a fresh DSDT from the new Y510? I am just getting around to taking it out of the box now. BIOS version is 06CN30WW.

I have another minor problem, and i realize that this is probably not the most appropriate place to post it, but maybe one of you knows something i don't and can help.

My webcam worked just fine in Ubuntu, but after going through some steps here, i made some changes to the USB configurations in order to allow passthrough of USB devices to VirtualBox. For the most part, it worked as intended, i can now use USB flash drives with Virtual-XP, and XP recognizes my webcam, but the webcam no longer works at all for either OS. Cheese just shows a TV test pattern with static in the bottom corner, and XP tells me that the device is in use by another application or user. Any ideas here? How can i "reboot" the webcam, or check if it really is in use?

EDIT - and yes, i tried using the webcam in XP without using Cheese first, and i tried using Cheese without even starting up Virtualbox.
    Last edited by chargersfan420; September 10th, 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

06CN31WW dropped yesterday Here
    Have been Ubuntu only for about 4 months now but not brave enough to go this big yet (fear of bricking) anybody else done it yet?
    Last edited by H4ck54w; September 10th, 2008 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'll look into flashing the bios later this weekend, but in the meantime, HunterThompson has a good bios flashing guide here.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well no luck for me, went through HunterThompson's from step 1 three times and kept getting Disk I/O error when selecting C: at the BIOS loader screen, what may have caused it is I extracted the .exe through WINE so I don't know if it corruped the BIOS file or not, but you would think if that was it I wouldn't have a Disk I/O error, I would have a different result. I wonder if I could make a bootable CD and do it that way???

Edit:OK I got it.
    I may have had a bad flash drive. I booted to LiveCD, partitioned 512MB of my HDD to FAT32 with Gparted just coppied all the files that resulted from HunterThompson's directions (sans old BIOS file added new BIOS file) Don't know if all files were necessary or not, but did it anyway. I haven't noticed anything better/worse/otherwise yet, but I do know that it doesn't fix the camera invert/upside down.
    Last edited by H4ck54w; September 12th, 2008 at 03:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by H4ck54w View Post
    Well no luck for me, went through HunterThompson's from step 1 three times and kept getting Disk I/O error when selecting C: at the BIOS loader screen, what may have caused it is I extracted the .exe through WINE so I don't know if it corruped the BIOS file or not, but you would think if that was it I wouldn't have a Disk I/O error, I would have a different result. I wonder if I could make a bootable CD and do it that way???

Edit:OK I got it.
    I may have had a bad flash drive. I booted to LiveCD, partitioned 512MB of my HDD to FAT32 with Gparted just coppied all the files that resulted from HunterThompson's directions (sans old BIOS file added new BIOS file) Don't know if all files were necessary or not, but did it anyway. I haven't noticed anything better/worse/otherwise yet, but I do know that it doesn't fix the camera invert/upside down.

I am editing the USB bios script thing but I am having the same problem. You also think it is the flash dirve. The HDD partition worked is sounds like...? I'll try that.

I have also posted the ***29.ROM and the new ***31.ROM files with the BIOS flashing HOW TO.

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast