Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet PC Issues

Beans

Tablet PC Issues

Hello, I've been trying to get my tablet PC to work with Ubuntu (Hardy) for more than a week now, and I'm getting very frustrated getting the touch screen / stylus to work at all.

I've searched all over the place and seen several success stories all with different methods, but none seem to work for me (a lot are old and pre-Hardy). I'm still a little new to Linux so I'm just getting the hang of everything, but I'm pretty positive I've been doing what the tutorials say.

My current xorg.conf file is:

Code:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig:  version 1.0  (buildmeister@builder3)  Thu Feb 14 18:20:37 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "Layout0"
        Screen      0  "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
        RgbPath         "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
        Load           "dbe"
        Load           "extmod"
        Load           "type1"
        Load           "freetype"
        Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Mouse0"
        Driver         "mouse"
        Option         "Protocol" "auto"
        Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
        Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        # generated from default
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier     "Monitor0"
        VendorName     "Unknown"
        ModelName      "Unknown"
        HorizSync       30.0 - 110.0
        VertRefresh     50.0 - 150.0
        Option         "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier     "Device0"
        Driver         "nvidia"
        VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier     "Screen0"
        Device         "Device0"
        Monitor        "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection     "Display"
            Depth       24
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    And of course I've tried adding in the various versions of the cursor, stylus and eraser sections, like

Code:
    Section “InputDevice”
        Driver “wacom”
        Identifier “stylus”
        Option “Device” “/dev/ttyS0″ #SERIAL ONLY

Option “Device” “/dev/input/wacom” #USB ONLY
        Option “Type” “stylus”
        Option “USB” “on” #USB ONLY

Option “ForceDevice” “ISDV4″ #Tablet PC ONLY
        EndSection

Section “InputDevice”
        Driver “wacom”
        Identifier “eraser”

Option “Type” “eraser”

EndSection

Section “InputDevice”

Driver “wacom”
        Identifier “cursor”

Option “Type” “cursor”
        Option “Mode” “relative”

EndSection
    My machine is an HP Pavillion tx2110us (fairly new), and I read somewhere that the newer tablet PCs route their touch screens through USB now instead of serial (I've tried both methods). I'm still not sure if that means I'm supposed to leave the "Tablet PC ONLY" sections there or not, in addition to the USB ones.

Any help is really appreciated, I'm frustrated that I can't get this to work and I'm afraid it's something stupid I'm missing.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Tablet PC Issues

Hey welcome to the forums!

You are in luck. The linux wacom was updated just recently to support our tablets (I have the tx2000z which is the online version of your tablet)
    I have everything working and am planing on writing a tutorial soon.. (hopefully tomorrow)
    If you can't wait till then, go to
    http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/

and download the dev package and get going!
    You are right about it being usb...
    I am attaching my xorg.conf (had to rename it so I could upload it) as that will help a bit in the end, configuring, though you may have to change it a bit.
    It's really not hard any more. No more patches or anything.
    I will post a link to the tutorial when a make it here.
    Kory
    Last edited by gali98; August 19th, 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Beans

Hello,

I am new to Ubuntu (heck linux period) I just installed it 2 days ago. I was very please its beautiful and fast...I installed the Ubuntu 8.0 version...I love Compiz.

I am having problems though..as to be expected as I am aware my system was designed for windows vista i will be patient.
    System Hp pavilion tx1305us

My main concern is getting the touch screen to work consistently...Every now and again it will work....but it will not be accurate. So i am looking forward to the how to on this.

Havent got my webcam or finger print scanner to work...but they are not my chief concerns.

Anytips in the mean time or suggestions for extreme newbs is welcome

Qa'Pla

Beans

Awesome gali, thanks a bunch! I will attempt to get it working using the dev version of linuxwacom but I suspect I'll be needing your tutorial to figure it out in the end

Looking forward to you completing it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Talking Re: Tablet PC Issues

***** UPDATED November 3, 2008 *****

NOTES:

If you are on Intrepid, the packages are already packaged in .deb format!
    The release is 0.8.1-4 for the packages.
    I have heard both reports of these packages working, and them not working... If you want to compile the newest version, then just move on...
    From all apearences, these packages DO NOT work. As far as I can tell, this is because of HAL and fdi files.
    Edit: I have found out a bit more about the whole thing... For us, hotplugging our tablets is useless (unless you normally open your lappy and disconnect you digitalizer and reconnect it.) So using the xorg.conf is the best way (it also means we can use the touchscreen and eraser)

If anyone has any idea what all that stuff is, please inform me : )
    Other wise do
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    ***If you are getting errors when running wacomcpl that says libwacomcfg.so.0 cannot be found, then you need to run configure like so
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    Calibration is now fixed! Now just use wacomcpl (see below!)
    If you have updated and the wacom stuff stops working, you will need to recompile. All you have to do is recompile, and copy over the driver. Your Xorg.conf will stay the same unless you mess with it

With 0.8.1-5 there seems to be a lot of little issues fixed!
    Like when using touch, sometimes after clicking (with touch) the cursor will jump up and click on the toolbar, or do weird stuff like that.
    As far as I can tell it now is fixed.
    If you have any issues please report them here. Thanks and enjoy!

For an update changelog, just check the linux-wacom folder you download. It is in the file Changelog.

Okay Here we go....

I want to first say that even though this looks like a lot of work, it is not really... I just explain everything very thouroughly (I can't spell) If you are a linux person then just download the source from the linux wacom site, compile it and copy the driver to the correct module section (check below) then configure xorg.conf like I show below....
    If you are not don't be afraid to plunge in and get the tablet working!

~~FINDING HELP~~
    Note first I just want to say that when looking for help on this tablet series the best search to do on these forums is

"tx2*" (without the quotes) this will find you a lot more posts!

~~~~TUTORIAL FOR USB WACOM TABLET PC~~~~

I now put the Code boxes around the all terminal input so you don't have to worry about copying the >

Code:
    cd ./Desktop

wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/linuxwacom/linuxwacom-0.8.1-6.tar.bz2
    (all of the apt-get commands install the packages we need and updates the system to the latest packages)

Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential libx11-dev libxi-dev x11proto-input-dev xserver-xorg-dev tk8.4-dev tcl8.4-dev libncurses5-dev

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom

sudo apt-get purge wacom-tools xserver-xorg-input-wacom
    Okay now you need to add the kernel headers for your kernel. Most people will just do

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    to check your kernel version do:

Code:
    uname -r
    Some people might have the rt kernel...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-rt
    If during any time you got a notice to restart or if you have a little restart icon in the top right system try (looks kinda like a blue recycle icon) then by goodness restart. If you are not sure, then go ahead and restart just to be safe. The reason is if you update to a newer kernel, then the module won't work on restart as the module is compiled for a specific kernel.

Okay now we get to the good stuff....

Code:
    tar xjvf linuxwacom-0.8.1-6.tar.bz2

cd linuxwacom-0.8.1-6

make

sudo make install
    If this returns an error saying "wacom" is not loaded, Do not worry. Just means you've never installed wacom before. Continue...

Code:
    sudo cp ./src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    If you are on Intrepid,
    use the following command instead:
    Code:
    sudo cp ./src/2.6.27/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet/wacom.ko
    You will now need to restart. This is necessary on Intrepid!

Okay that installed it, but now we need to configure our xserver....

Okay I will try to make this as simple as possible. Unfortunately for some reason the stylus and touch events do not go by the same event number every time so we have to go another way...
    first of all If you have made any changes to
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf concerning wacom delete all those changes Unless you have followed this tutorial before and know what you are doing. (make sure to also remove wacom references in the server layout section!)

Also do:
    Code:
    gedit ~/.xinitrc
    and delete any line with "xsetwacom" at the beginning Unless you know why it is there. This will make it easier to calibrate. Save that then restart.

If when you do the command the file is blank, do not worry. Just close out of gedit and continue on.

After you restart the stylus and touch should work. If it does not, restart again. It took me like three times before it kicked in. Don't ask me why...
    It should move it, though probably very uncalibrated. Make sure you cover the entire screen to see if it moves.
    If it does not move then post the results of

Code:

make

sudo make install

sudo rmmod wacom

sudo modprobe wacom
    and also post the contents of xorg.conf (/etc/X11/xorg.conf)

If you have got this far good!

Open up a terminal

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf &
    (leave the terminal open...)

In the text editor add the following lines under the Synaptic InputDevice Section (check the bottom of this post for my xorg.conf to see what I mean....)

Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "stylus"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse"
    Option "Button2" "3" # make side-switch a right button
    Option "TopX" "225"
    Option "TopY" "225"
    Option "BottomX" "26300"
    Option "BottomY" "16375"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "touch"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Type" "touch"
    Option "USB" "on"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.1-event-"
    Option "TopX" "200"
    Option "TopY" "225"
    Option "BottomX" "4000"
    Option "BottomY" "3875"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "eraser"
    Driver "wacom"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/by-path/pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse"
    Option "USB" "on"
    EndSection

Now Find the part that says 'Section "ServerLayout"'

In there add:

Code:
    Inputdevice "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    Inputdevice "touch"	"SendCoreEvents"
    Inputdevice "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    Now we need to fix the synaptic touch pad part. Since it has the word "touch" in it it is wrongly detected.
    find the part that says:

Code:
    	Identifier	"Synaptics Touchpad"
    and change it to

Code:
    	Identifier	"Synaptics Pad"
    then in the server layout section also change it****

if this is all confusing, you can download my xorg.conf to look at. It is at the bottom of this post. Do not use any other xorg.conf of mine uploaded on any other thread or post as it is probably old.
    note: if you are on another tablet (not a tx2000 series) it would not be wise to just paste my xorg into yours. It will probably not work. In fact it will probably break stuff
    If you have the tx2000 if you just renamed it to xorg.conf and pasted it over yours, it would probably work, but I don't suggest doing it.

Now Maximize the termial....
    now in the termial type :

Code:
    reset

dmesg | grep Wacom
    there should be two lines similar to this:

Code:
    [ 45.460644] input: Wacom ISDv4 93 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb2/2-2/2-2.3/2-2.3:1.0/input/input9
    [ 45.478030] input: Wacom ISDv4 93 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb2/2-2/2-2.3/2-2.3:1.1/input/input10

now do:

Code:
    ls -l /dev/input/by-path
    That should give you something similar to:

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse -> ../event9
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-mouse -> ../mouse1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.1- -> ../mouse2
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-07-27 12:07 pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.1-event- -> ../event10
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-07-27 12:07 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event11
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse3
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2008-07-27 12:07 platform-pcspkr-event-spkr -> ../event2

Now find the file that matches the output of dmesg i.e:

input9 (from dmesg) matches with event9 (in the ls command) So The File

pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.0-event-mouse

is one that we need.

next input10 (from dmesg) matches with event10 (in the ls command) So The File

pci-0000:00:0b.1-usb-0:2.3:1.1-event-

is the other we need.

Now just amend your xorg.conf with those two names that you just got. The one ending with "mouse" should be in the stylus and eraser sections
    and the one ending in "event-" should be in the touch section.
    In theory since we have the same basic laptops these files should be the same as mine but you need to check....
    If you have anything other than a tx2000 it probably will be different.

And that should be it.
    Press Ctrl + Alt + Backspace to restart the xserver.

Login and we will now calibrate.

Just open up a terminal and do:

Code:
    wacomcpl
    A gui!!!! everything you will probably ever need to do with wacom is here. Just read the buttons

To make the wacomcpl settings stay after you reboot you need to:

Code:
    chmod +x ~/.xinitrc
    Then go to System->Preferences->Session

click on add and for the command write "~/.xinitrc" (without the quotes) title it whatever.....

This will only work for the user though. So before you log in it is still uncalibrated.

So to make it system wide (if that is what you want) here is a short how-to:

First do:
    Code:
    rm ~.xinitrc
    Now go into wacomcpl and make it how you want it. (calibrate included)

Now open up .xinitrc and xorg.conf:

Code:
    gedit ~/.xinitrc & gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    now you just transfer the stuff over to the xorg.conf.

For example the line in my .xinitrc is:

xsetwacom set touch bottomy "3951"

if you open up a terminal you can use xsetwacom to figure out how to translate it to the xorg.conf.

so what you would do for the line above is:

Code:
    xsetwacom -x get touch bottomy
    the x stands for xconf.. get obviously gives you the value.

that command outputs

Option "BottomY" "3951"

which I would put in my xorg.conf under the touch section.

Here is another short example.

.xinitrc:

xsetwacom set stylus Button3 "Button 3"

command:

Code:
    xsetwacom -x get stylus button3
    part to put in xorg.conf

Option "Button3" "BUTTON 3"

that's about all there is to it. Hopefully I got across some understanding in there

I hope this helps everyone. If you have any problems just post them here and I will help as soon as I can.

Kory

Edit: Hopefully fixed the problem of wacom driver not starting.... July 28, 2008
    Edit: Updated for 0.8.1-2 and to fix pressure.... August 3, 2008
    Edit: added some stuff... August 4, 2008
    Edit: No need for patch!!!! Also updated xorg.conf part to fix some stuff I broke August 18, 2008
    Edit: Put My xorg on this page. Fixed typos August 19, 2008
    Edit: Fixed the wget command and link and added clarification. August 28, 2008
    Edit: Fixed a command error hopefully before it caused problem. Plus 0.8.1-4 is coming very soon! August 29, 2008
    Edit: Updated for 0.8.1-4 (fixed calibration!) Also cleaned up a lot! September 1, 2008
    Edit: Updated for 0.8.1-5 (fixed a few issues) and For Intrepid! October 11, 2008
    Edit: Added Intrepid stuff... October 13, 2008
    Edit: Updated for 0.8.1-6.... And found I was limited to 8 smileys : ) October 25, 2008
    Edit: Updated for Problems involving Intrepid.... November 3, 2008
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gali98; November 4th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gali98 View Post
    the pressure on the pen is inverted halfway through, doing weird things (just use gimp to see what I mean)
    Kory

I experienced this bug as well. Using this bug report as a starting point, I was able to come up with a fix. Attached is a patch that should be applied to src/xdrv/xf86WacomDefs.h in linuxwacom-0.8.1-1.

Just apply the patch, recompile the driver and then reinstall it. Once you restart X, the pressure should work correctly.

Just note this was a really quick hack and could easily have unintended side effects (although I haven't noticed any). If you notice anything weird after you try this, you should probably undo these changes and wait for someone who actually knows what they are doing to fix the issue.

Beans

I tried installing as the instructions show, but the tablet is still not working. Attached I have my ./configure results and my xorg.conf file. One thing I noticed is that when i run the make command, I get this error

Building linuxwacom drivers for 2.6 kernel.
    ***Note: Drivers not enabled as modules in your kernel config but requested through configure are NOT built

I'm not sure exactly what this means

Thanks for any help

Beans

Thanks so much for writing this! However, I have the same issue as above as well. My xorg.conf and output of ./configure --enable-wacom are attached as the tutorial instructs.

Beans

Please all take a look at my post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...93&postcount=7

Really the newer drivers aren't ready for the tx2000 series yet and the 7 series drivers work great so why change a good thing? I use my tx2000 for the tablet feature and it works great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Aha! I have discovered my error!
    There is an important step I forgot.
    Actually there is a couple of things that I am going to include.

first just for the sake of it.. reboot if you have not already....

Second we need to make sure you have the current kernel headers....
    If you are on the generic kernel (default)

then do:

>sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

I have the rt kernel so I did:

>sudo apt-get install linux-headers-rt

If you don't know run:

>uname -r

Okay now run

./configure --enable-wacom

then

>make

I believe you can safely ignore the warnings about the modules not being built.

Now do

>sudo make install

Now for the commands I think matter.....

>sudo rmmod wacom (may fail.. thats okay)

>sudo cp ./src/2.6.24/wacom.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/input/tablet

That should copy the driver over. I think this was the problem.

>sudo depmod -e

>sudo modprobe wacom

at this point try the tablet and touch and it should move stuff around.. just play with it....

If still no dice, do ./configure --enable-wacom make and sudo make install and copy the output of all those commands.......

Okay guys try that and if it works let me know and continue on and I will also update the tutorial...

And thanks for that patch ztidwell... I am about to try it out...

Hope this works!
    Kory

If you could also tell me how new to ubuntu you are and how much do you understand what you are doing (following this tutorial)...
    Last edited by gali98; July 29th, 2008 at 02:46 AM.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast