Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Tablet PC Issues

Beans

Re: Tablet PC Issues

I've just backported i386 and amd64 0.8.6 packages (from Jaunty) for Intrepid, they are on the Community wiki documentation along with install instructions.

They should save compiling and installing the new drivers by hand, you can edit your howtos (saves a lot of time/confusion/problems).

I've tested them on amd64 and they work OK. Remember you still have to edit your xorg.conf properly
    Please test them and report if they work for you at https://bugs.launchpad.net/intrepid-...ts/+bug/309531 so they can be included in the -backport repositories.

If you've messed up your configuration when trying to compile and install the drivers, you can undo most changes with the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver (just do the sudo ./uninstall step), then reinstalling the 0.8.4 drivers from the repositories or the 0.8.6 from the documentation.
    Last edited by Lo´c2; December 19th, 2008 at 01:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks Lo´c2,

This should be a big help if it works. Which it seems like it should. I appreciate the updated wiki's. Unfortunately I've already gone ahead and installed 0.8.2. Which brings me to a couple of questions.

Could you backport Linux Wacom Project's latest linuxwacom driver 1.0.8.2?

Do you know how, in Intrepid, to generate a correctly configured xorg.conf? Right now it seems the only way to get a properly configured xorg.conf is to "forward"port a Hardy or earlier config.conf. It is not clear to me what is missing in Intrepid that prevents the configured config.conf from being generated. This is causing a lot of problems for folks with newer tablet pc's who are installing Ubuntu for the first time.

Also have you heard if the developers have figured a way around HAL's limitations so that we no longer need xorg.conf? Some sort of new magical fdi file I suppose. They just had the big Jaunty conference but I couldn't find anything on it. I did see they have made touchscreen support a high priority.

Best regards.
    Last edited by Favux; December 19th, 2008 at 04:26 AM.

Beans

Hey all,

I posted a few weeks ago about some issues, and figured I'd re-iterate to see if anyone had any new ideas.

First, on my Toshiba M700, screen rotation is working (along with input rotation). However, when I have Compiz enabled, the bottom quarter of the screen is random(apparently anything beyond the height of the screen in landscape view...ie, if rotated right or left, the bottom is messed up, but if at normal or half, everything is peachy). Any ideas on how to fix that?

Second, my touchscreen is responding, but is not calibrated properly. Everything I have seen has pointed to wacomcpl as the configuration utility, but it gives me no options for input devices to configure. Any ideas on how to fix that (I have run it has regular user and as root), or how to configure it manually? Currently, it is the most accurate at the top left of the screen, and is increasingly less accurate (as though it thinks the screen is significantly larger than it is).

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi Mars Thrax,

Which version of Ubuntu are you on? Which kernel do you have?
    Code:
    uname -r
    in a terminal.

It sounds like a problem with your video card driver. What video chipset are you running? It could also be a Compiz bug. I'm running Compiz without a problem, so it would have to be a video card specific bug. And then of course one or both of them could be having a problem with Xserver. If you can update your video driver, try that. If there are alternate video drivers for your video card which are they?

Because you are not seeing anything in wacomcpl it does not sound like the wacom kernel module is sensing any input. It may be you are just getting stylus input through HAL, which does not use xorg.conf. Your xorg.conf may be improperly configured.

Does your tablet have other inputs besides the stylus? Like eraser, side button, or touch. If so which ones?

For a start why don't you post the output of:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep Wacom
    in a terminal. Also please post your xorg.conf located in:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Also have you looked at the laptoptestingteam site? There is one Toshiba Portege 700 listed:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...ibaPortegeM700

This may be helpful.
    Last edited by Favux; December 19th, 2008 at 04:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Mars Thrax,

Which version of Ubuntu are you on? Which kernel do you have?
    Code:
    uname -r
    in a terminal.
    Sorry, forgot to post that. I'm running a fully updated Intrepid (2.6.27-9-generic)

It sounds like a problem with your video card driver. What video chipset are you running? It could also be a Compiz bug. I'm running Compiz without a problem, so it would have to be a video card specific bug. And then of course one or both of them could be having a problem with Xserver. If you can update your video driver, try that. If there are alternate video drivers for your video card which are they?
    The M700 has an integrated Intel graphics (950GMA?). I am not aware of alternate drivers, but I will look into that.

Does your tablet have other inputs besides the stylus? Like eraser, side button, or touch. If so which ones?
    Yes, it has stylus, eraser, and one side button. It also has touch.

For a start why don't you post the output of:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep Wacom
    in a terminal. Also please post your xorg.conf located in:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    No output from desmg
    Below is my xorg.conf
    Code:
    Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Virtual	2432 864
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier      "stylus"
    	Driver          "wacom"
    	Option          "Device"        "/dev/ttyS0"
    	Option          "Type"          "stylus"
    	Option          "ForceDevice"   "ISDV4"
    	Option          "Mode"          "absolute"
    	Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier      "eraser"
    	Driver          "wacom"
    	Option          "Type"          "eraser"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier      "cursor"
    	Driver          "wacom"
    	Option          "Type"          "cursor"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    	Identifier      "touch"
    	Driver          "wacom"
    	Option          "Type"          "touch"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice     "stylus"        "SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "touch"        "SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Option		"RandRRotation"	"true"
    EndSection
    Also have you looked at the laptoptestingteam site? There is one Toshiba Portege 700 listed:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestin...ibaPortegeM700

This may be helpful.
    Yes, I have. That is what I used in Hardy to get everything working, and I used it initially for crafting my Xorg.conf. As far as the touch screen, it "works" (ie, responds to input, but incorrectly as described above) out of the box. I did try downloading the old driver, as well as recompiling it myself, but in both cases it would no longer respond to input at all (from both the stylus and the touchscreen).

Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro

Hi Mars Thrax,

I should have asked you to explain in more detail what you mean by:
    Second, my touchscreen is responding, but is not calibrated properly.
    Do you mean not responding properly to touch, or to the sylus, or eraser and the side button, or to everything? Also what are the "cursor" references for? My impression is that "cursor" is for a seperate plug-in Wacom graphics tablet where you can use some feature on the Wacom tablet as a mouse? Does it do anything on your tablet pc?

Ok, regarding the video. Intel is suppose to have pretty good linux support so this may be a known bug. Try searching launchpad and bugzilla with the appropriate key words and see if there is a work around.

For me the output of ~$ dmesg | grep Wacom is:
    Code:
    [   30.913216] input: Wacom ISDv4 93 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb2/2-2/2-2.3/2-2.3:1.0/input/input11
    [   30.957435] input: Wacom ISDv4 93 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0b.1/usb2/2-2/2-2.3/2-2.3:1.1/input/input12
    [   31.017488] wacom: v1.49:USB Wacom Graphire and Wacom Intuos tablet driver
    See it not only tells us that the wacom module is installed it tells you what Wacom tablet is used. It also gives input paths that you can use in xorg.conf. So you have a serial tablet. I guess there is no output with this command with a serial tablet. As a forlorn hope try it again after a fresh reboot, before you've done anything else.

If you know a way to get this type of output for a serial device let me know.

So let's try another way. In a terminal type:
    Code:
    lsmod
    And look for "wacom", not "linuxwacom". Also see if there is some sort of serial stuff with "wacom" associated with it. If you see "wacom" then the module is loaded. Then try:
    Code:
    modinfo -d wacom
    This should tell us what kind of Wacom tablet you have (and if we're lucky maybe some serial stuff).

This should be enough info. to use "wacdump" and see what it tells us. Instructions for using "wacdump" are at:

http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/in.../howto/wacdump

Post any of the above results you think are relevant.

Luck!

Beans

Well, I ended up fixing my problem. It turns out that the M700 has a known issue with the current wacom utilities in the respositories. I uninstalled both xserver-xorg-input-wacom and wacom-tools, downloaded the latest sources (0.8.2), and then compiled and installed. It turns out it must have been the touch screen problems that were also causing issues when I rotated the screen, because installing the new driver fixed the visual problems.

So, to recap, in Intrepid, the Toshiba M700 needs at least the 0.8.2 sources (or 0.8.1-6 with the patch, as described here). Then, you can follow this guide to install the driver manually. After doing that, you should be able to follow the regular guides for rotating screen and whatnot. Works with Compiz.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Mars Thrax,

Great! Nice job. By the way, did you notice in the bug report at Launchpad Martin Sucha, when he's showing his xorg.conf input devices, points out you do not need "cursor" in your xorg.conf !
    Last edited by Favux; December 20th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.

Beans

Hey Mars Thrax,

Great! Nice job. By the way, did you notice in the bug report at Launchpad Martin Sucha, when he's showing his xorg.conf input devices, points out you do not need "cursor" in your xorg.conf !
    Yup, like I said it was only there because the Laptop Testing Team had it in their config, but I ended up removing it.

Beans

Thanks Lo´c2,
    Could you backport Linux Wacom Project's latest linuxwacom driver 1.0.8.2?
    When they'll appear in Jaunty it will be easy, but at the moment Jaunty still has 1.0.8.1.6 (and I'm not sure Debian has them either, since our wacom drivers are pulled from Debian).

Do you know how, in Intrepid, to generate a correctly configured xorg.conf? Right now it seems the only way to get a properly configured xorg.conf is to "forward"port a Hardy or earlier config.conf. It is not clear to me what is missing in Intrepid that prevents the configured config.conf from being generated. This is causing a lot of problems for folks with newer tablet pc's who are installing Ubuntu for the first time.
    You still need to add the lines by hand (there's example lines in the guides). The configuration was never autogenerated, Feisty (and some other distributions than Ubuntu) generate xorg.conf with default wacom lines, but they don't correspond to people's hardware (unless you happen to have stylus, cursor and eraser all 3 but nothing else, that's not common).

A new GUI is being developed, you can find more information on the ubuntu-x mailing list and there's a wiki page at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Blueprints/WacomTabletsUi

It's still unsure what will get into it, but the programmer seem to think it will be ready for Jaunty.

Also have you heard if the developers have figured a way around HAL's limitations so that we no longer need xorg.conf? Some sort of new magical fdi file I suppose. They just had the big Jaunty conference but I couldn't find anything on it. I did see they have made touchscreen support a high priority.
    The HAL problems aren't going to go away soon. HAL only supports one device, and HAL people consider it's not HAL job to be Xorg configuration store (with valid arguments). The DBUS method is being investigated by only one person (discussion in linuxwacom-discuss/devel mailing lists), but at the moment it crashes X, and it's not sure when that could be sorted out. Xorg people still haven't decided what they're going to use for wacom devices hotplugging, so there's actually no solution we can be sure would be accepted by them.

In the meantime, the wacom GUI would solve some problems, especially with TabletPC who don't need hotplugging anyway (for on the fly preferences setting, you can already do that, hotplugging is only necessary for Wacom USB tablet users, like the Intuos, Cintiq, Bamboo, Graphire.)

Some touch-screen aren't using wacom drivers. They could possibly eventually work with evdev, I don't know for sure.

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast